May 21, 2024, 06:12:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age old Question?  (Read 2180 times)
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2019, 08:48:59 pm »

That's the way I see it too goose. In the high pressure areas, not only is there pressure from numerous hunters, but the stand and fight mentality hogs are caught first. The flight before flight hogs live to root another day so flighty breeds to flighty creating more flighty. What you guys are hunting in I've never hunted in. It sounds a lot like hunting the corn though. My best results in the corn were with a little rougher set of dogs and putting more of them on the ground at one time.  When the hogs feels the pressure they usually leave the corn. When they do that it's back in our favor. They have a tendency to make mistakes when there's something coming from every direction. That usually interrupts their game plan or escape plan.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

T-dog, you wouldn't believe the amount of hog hunters around here who can't grasp that reasoning, and the ones who want to argue have no clue about working and managing any type of stock much less trying to manage wild hogs, and the guys around here who can't or won't accept the fact that it can be done run packs of land sharks and just about every hog they catch is chewed to hell and back and barely edible, if we catch a hog in one of our main spots that bays easy it lives to see another day, if it gives a hard race then he's cut and if it's a sow ( without criminalizing myself) it makes it as well just in another place, we show our fare share of dead hogs to the farmers but the area we mainly hunt was originally populated by those same farmers and their fathers or grandfathers so hogs are a part of life around there, I'm not to ashamed to admit that over the years we've had some tame blooded and half blooded hogs get out of the pen and we left them out in hopes they would breed with the wild hogs but it's been 5-6 years now and we've never caught one of those hogs back, they and their offspring are easily caught in traps and between the trappers and night vision hunters there's hardly any big bodied hogs left, I can remember 15 years or so ago it was common to catch listed and colored hogs and 300lb boar hog was just and average boar, now the colored hogs are left in small pockets and if you catch one that's 300lb you've done something, and I can't hardly recall any long all day races back then, now that those hogs have been caught and killed, just as you said the only ones left contributing to the gene pool are the ones who had the skills and mentality to get away and live another day, with the exception of a few others other than myself there are few hunters around here who remember or even know about how the hogs looked and acted all across the board before there was a hog hunter on every country road...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: