May 26, 2024, 02:00:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Fowl School !!!!  (Read 51715 times)
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

Keep em Straight and Keep em Yeller

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:32:35 pm »

Alrighty boys. Always kept some birds but never got deep into it.

Quick question on Grey Game. Is there a a pure Grey that comes green or blue legged with minimal brass back. If so what's the bloodline and if ya got em let's see pics of the Cocks and hens of the same bloodline.

Preciate it.
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 01:34:08 pm »

You might be talkin bout some black greys like
Mayb warhorse xgreys or something most are gonna have grey hackle feathers though
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 01:36:50 pm »

Will also have grey saddle feathers
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 02:21:13 pm »

That makes since. I bought a warhorse hen that is the basis of my question. Now....is the warhorse a cross combo or considered pure grey strain? 

I have some Joe Goode, Frost and I believe law grey. But hell I ain't into the strains enough to pick them from the crowd.

Think the Goode have more brass backs Frosts with lighter hens and law are more the straight lace rubby breasted hens.

Break it down for me brotha

SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 03:09:01 pm »

Warhorses can be solid black to like a brassy back  sone are almost bb red
The war horse is supposed to be a dark fowl not actually a grey they are like black , black reds an some have a little grey mixed in so some are black greys ,

Just like Cur dogs some added a little of this an a little of that an you can't tell till maybe 4 or so generations down it will pop out ,

I have some Spanish birds they are mostly white an black splashed pinto they call them well I had some chicks an a got a spangled colored little stag all the others are white , lol who knows a throuw back from some where , post a pic of your hen
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 03:11:02 pm »

I'd like to see some pictures of yalls birds especially the pinto birds you're talking about Swamphunter.
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 03:30:49 pm »

I post some when I get home from work
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 04:23:06 pm »

Yep likewise. See if I can get a few up so yall can classify.
Da Butcher
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 04:35:49 pm »

I aint got no pics of any greys, they all got sent away by them black mugs!!!  LOL
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 05:33:14 pm »

Warhorse hen

Said this was a Law Grey

These are some Goode and Frost crosses I was told.

M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 05:39:12 pm »

joe goud , raised some greys that came green legged, he got some ted mclain hatch and put in them back in the late 50s an 60s. sweater mcguinnes had green legged greys but they also had mclain hatch in them.
i bought my warhorse blood out of calif . they where solid black ,those were the bacon warhorse. the lemmon neck warhorse were called hoover warhorse. bout they all started from brown red famly.  you breed black to greys and they normaly produce knife chickens. very fast and cut good. but if you take mclain hatch and breed to the warhorse like i did they make badass knife chickens. cut,look good and lots of bottum. iv got a old warhorse cock on the yard ill take a pic

Monty Bennet
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 05:45:15 pm »

the first hen looks like hatch grey hen.  perfection frost greys came pearl legged all the ones iv seen around here that these old timers had were.
is that grey cock straight comb? tom leggett faught sme law greys and he put some blueface hatch in to them and they were good chickens. they came green or yellow legged.

Monty Bennet
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 06:49:06 pm »

Not trying to hijack thread but I got a few questions . I got me some Phoenix Fowl chicks this past spring. I was told phoenix were made by crossing game fowl to japanese ornamental fowl. I'm not interested in fighting them. All I'm after is some fowl that can survive on some wooded property. I started with 7 cocks and 5 hens and have not lost any yet. The Phoenix will tolerate other cocks as long as they were all raised up from chicks together. They also tolerate young cocks born in the flock. Now they spar their butts off but so far so good. Do you think I could mix in some pure game blood or would that mess up the whole make up of what I got going?

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 06:53:04 pm »

this is a warhorse hen of mine an she still carrying alittle mclain hatch cause she peaheaded . a pure warhorse comes straight comb.

these are my toppy chickens, there half toppy and muff. some come with a beard and toppy. i call them my hippie chickens

Monty Bennet
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 06:59:50 pm »

Monty

So what does the buttermilk hen look like. She also has green legs but the hen she was out of was pearl legged and colored same. The rest of the hens I have free ranged all look like the two on the bottom. 

Jimco

Ask away brotha not hijacking anything. That's what this thread is for.  Questions and Answers.
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 06:59:59 pm »

jimco, i would all most bet if you breed more game in to the, one day you will come home and have a bunch of blood headed chickens laying around. i bred a bantum last yr to some game hens and they fight like hell . this winter im going to fight a main in the short knife just to see how game they are they wiegh 2lb 4 oz an 2lb 8oz there little but put on a show

Monty Bennet
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 07:19:47 pm »

The 12 I have are Silver Duckwing Phoenix. Next spring I want to mix in some Black Shubert Phoenix,  same birds just another color.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 07:24:28 pm »

miles she looks like she is a hatch / grey to me. but if you take a grey cock and breed over a black hen they could come colored like that. one time i bred racey mugs for 15 yrs they were black chickens straight comb had slate leggs. one fall i hatched 1500 out and one came with a bread. never before has this happened. so i called the old man and asked why this pullet came with a beard. he laughed and said one time back yrs ago we won a derby and a guy fighting muff (bearded chcks) won to and he gave him a cock and when he got home he through that bearded cock in with some of the raceymug hens and 20 yrs later i raised one . them raceymugs were still carrying a gean in there blood it was a through back.

if you have the real law greys and joe goud , and you got them straight from those 2 guys then i bet they put a little of ted mclain hatch or sweater mcguineses in them greys, thats why they have green leggs.   back in the 50s an 60s 70s, bill goud,joe goud, ted mclain, mr sweater, mr gavlin , were all bbuddies and they all swap chickens.

if you got yur chickens from some chicken fighter there aint no telling what has been bred in to those chickens now. chicken fighters are always trying to breed the best of the best , them chickens you have do look good, and i bet they hit hard cause of the hatch blood in them.

just remeber dark leggs is power and yellow or pearl is yur speed. and anything peaheaded has orientel in it what i mean is it came from tiland or guam or the filapienes.

just a reminder i personaly dont thank there are any pure breded chickens left, cause somebody put something else in to them to make them better. if there is they are inbred real bad

Monty Bennet
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 07:26:03 pm »

jimco love the blue cock right behind the big black rooster

Monty Bennet
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 07:48:50 pm »

Gotcha!   Bout what I figured but always like to get a more educated opinion. 

Now if any of you wanna buy some grade A.. pure as the driven snow...grey, hatch, kelso, warhorse, butcher, brown red, with a touch of dish water blonde albino canadian goose. I GOT WATCHA LOOKIN FOR.   LOL Grin

Preciate it brotha.

Yall throw up some more pics of watcha got. I like checkin them out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: