May 27, 2024, 04:01:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: May 23, 2024, 05:38:51 pm 
Started by t-dog - Last post by williamsld
He used to have some good discussions on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on: May 23, 2024, 05:22:17 pm 
Started by Arkansashunter96 - Last post by t-dog
Highwater and Cajun, I understand completely. I feel like one of the cattle ranchers from the olden days when the sheep farmers started drifting in, can’t stand them, don’t agree with them, and don’t want them around.

on: May 23, 2024, 08:28:13 am 
Started by Arkansashunter96 - Last post by HIGHWATER KENNELS
We have the Urbanites that move out to the country and they buy 5 acres and think they own the rest.

Man,, truer words have never been spoken,,,  Dont know what it will be like in yrs to come for this great sport we grew up doing...

on: May 22, 2024, 08:32:56 pm 
Started by t-dog - Last post by Judge peel
lol Tdog you should get a job with Netflix as a comedy writer

on: May 22, 2024, 03:14:08 pm 
Started by Slim9797 - Last post by t-dog
I hope she’s bred for ya. Sounds like the pups are doing well.

on: May 22, 2024, 03:06:39 pm 
Started by t-dog - Last post by t-dog
I think it’s supposed to hit triple digits here this weekend. It’s almost like the thermostat is low enough that the little kids are switching it from cold to hot, cold to hot. No warm in the middle.

on: May 22, 2024, 12:10:30 pm 
Started by Arkansashunter96 - Last post by Cajun
  Those are some pretty pups. I am like Highwater and a few others on here. I remember the days we used to bay up sounders and have way more bays then hogs that break. I think there are several reasons for that. back in the day, we mostly had open woods and feral hogs that were half tame. When they closed open range and started cutting the timber out creating cutovers it was a lot easier for the hog to escape. Also in the late 80's Baying contests evolved and everyone wanted to be a hoghunter. Also Russian boar were imported in to several areas and that put alot of the run in them. Like Highwatrer said the short distance dogs that could not hang with a runner taught hogs to run and they were the ones that got to breed so the hogs evolved. The hog hunters had to evolve with them breeding dogs with more stick. That being said there are still hogs out there that can run the air out of the dogs.
  All this got me thinking of the ways hoghunting has changed. When I started out, we either road horses or walked hunted. I remember when I got a Honda 185 Big Red 3 wheeler. Man I thought I was in high cotton. Then in the mid 80's We got telemetry tracking collars and we were fixed. Thought that was the best thing since peanut butter. Shocking collars came next and we sure had straighter dogs and didnt have to spend so much time looking for dogs. We used to put a telemetry collar, a shock collar and the dogs regular collar on. I thought we would have to start breeding longer necks on these dogs. Then came side x sides, Garmins, feeders and trail camers. Everything has gotten easier except catching running hogs. lol Also as times went on we have lost more and more land to hunt and almost everything is leased up. We have the Urbanites that move out to the country and they buy 5 acres and think they own the rest.

on: May 22, 2024, 11:44:07 am 
Started by t-dog - Last post by Cajun
Good hunt. I would have barred that boar with the two white legs too. He would be a easy one to remember. It is sure warming up for sure.

on: May 22, 2024, 09:46:28 am 
Started by Slim9797 - Last post by Slim9797
Hadn’t been hunting much as of late. It’s done got hot, we lost a buddies bulldog to heat stroke a couple weekends ago.
Sketch is put up in hopes she is bred, excited to talk about that if it ends up going our way.

Said heck with it last night and loaded my 2 yearling pups out of sketch, and the secret weapon, Lizzo, my greyhound around 8pm.

Drove out to a family place we call the Camphouse just north of Flatonia. Hogs in this country are super sporadic and few and far between, but we’ve pulled some real good boars out of there over the years.

Fresh cut hay fields showed evidence of a hog or 2 passing through last weekend. It’s 2 deer feeders still running and one of em has a green light on it so my plan was to post up at a distance with dogs on the buggy and wait for the hogs to show.

10:30 rolled around and I was ready to make something happen, not to mention every 5 minutes or so Spoon would stand up and whine staring straight into the wind. Got out and sent all 3 together, they hit the ground headed straight into the wind about 500 yards to the feeder I wasn’t sitting on. Got a few barks and then they showed treed. Head to them and realize they’re still over by the feeder and not in the slough, so have to go around backside. Pull up and they are stretching a good boar 180ish lbs not 10 yards outside the feeder pen. I didn’t have a knife and failed to grab a tie rope because I had little faith in even seeing a hog, so I flipped him and got dogs back, and pulled my 5.7x28 out and hit his off switch. Kicked my self in the butt immediately. Perfect hog and place to cut one and try to build a trophy.
 Got a picture or 2 and pet them dogs up real good, I was sure proud of em. Only the 2nd time I’ve taken just Spoon and Misty for cur dogs, and they’ve been out at night maybe 3 times in their life, they turned a year beginning of May.           
  And lizzo has been used very sparingly at night and it’s always been using her as a sight dog to hogs in feed bunks. So for them all to rig this hog and go straight to him and not let him go anywhere, was a job well done and all I could ask of them.

Spoon riding on the box headed to the Camphouse. This dude knows what his nose is and I’m pretty confident he’s got a better than average one. If He gets his mind,feet, and nose all goin the same way, he’s going to bay lots of hogs.

on: May 22, 2024, 05:18:02 am 
Started by t-dog - Last post by t-dog
Cracker, I guarantee you that would get plenty of views. That would take the Aussies hunting in shorts to a whole new level!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10