May 18, 2024, 11:40:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: florida currs? show and tell  (Read 5000 times)
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 03:50:42 am »

No offence intended but this a subject I feel strongly about.

I am away from home right now, so no good pictures of a Florida Cur.  This is a good chance to explain what I think a Florida cur is.  It is a type of working dog, not a pure breed, and can come in several sizes, colors and patterns.  Ring necks saddle backs, black and tan, black, white, tan, white with spots etc.  The ones I grew up with, were mostly red, tan, and and white.  They are all purpose dogs bred for working in the heat and humidity of Central and South Florida.    

Too many people look at a dog and say "it looks like a Florida cur, must be a Florida cur".  The name "Florida Cur" has been hijacked by dog jockeys and new hunters who think they are breeders trying to make money on dogs.

Did it come from actual South Florida working dogs?  Just because a dog comes from Florida doesn't make it a Florida Cur.  So there is really no way to prove or disprove what a Florida Cur is except in the woods.

If you don't know it's from South Florida don't call it a Florida cur.  Some of you Texas guys have seen the same problem with "yella dogs".  Some are good some are just yellow.  Kind of like the song, "don't call him cowboy until you've seen him ride"

That's what I think about it!

Dunno about south fl.  I live in south florida and i know theres some guys on here that i eould consider north central fl that hve some dang sure florida curs.  I would say If it comes from true ranch dogs instead of south fl.  Cause theres dang sure some boys round here that wouldnt know a real fl cur if you gave it to them.
toyotatodd
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 07:30:38 am »

I currently have two, one is about 1.5 yrs old (old pics tho), one is about 4 months old.
nala

suey

sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 11:57:54 am »

get with rdjustham he has some standup florida curs

Have you ever hunted with them? Huh?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Why it gotta be like that? Angry

Nothing against you our your dogs, just asking how he knows your dogs are worth a damn.

John Esker
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 01:21:49 pm »

get with rdjustham he has some standup florida curs

Have you ever hunted with them? Huh?

Why it gotta be like that? Angry

Nothing against you our your dogs, just asking how he knows your dogs are worth a damn.

I think the real question is, why would you think they arent?  Huh?  Grin
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 01:33:37 pm »

he has stories and pictures to show it.

John you should know, that is all it takes to be a internet hog hunting god! Grin
Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 04:10:27 pm »

I'd hafta agree with dan on this one, FL Cur was and is developed by south Florida cattlemen.   ...an interesting note however, it is agreed upon(among those whose opinion I respect) overall that the majority of ranch dogs left are not near the quality of dog when compaired to that of a handful of careful breeders in the area... of course I am speaking of these dogs' ability to produce hogs as well as cattle...  most "deep into it" guys I know tend to stick to the modified FL cur that has been bred more specifically for hogs, which in my opinion, makes for a better cow dog in the end anyways.  The FL Cur is definitely a product of the necessity of a hard stopping, less rangy dog

John, love to hear your thoughs on what dogs youve seen work at your new job

Welcome to the Gun Show

Noah Metzger 352 316 8005
Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 04:24:23 pm »

an interesting side note... was talkin with an old timer from down south the other day, and I was askin him about the old dogs.  He said they used to have some sure enuff rough stock but when the screw worms came they had to get rid of anything that would put a mouth on a cow... said they lost a pile of good genetics way back because of this

Welcome to the Gun Show

jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 04:30:10 pm »

just curious noah , what did the screw worms have to do with changing styles of dogs ? please elaborate as my granddaddy talked about doctoring cattle for screwworms in the 30's .
Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 04:41:08 pm »

They say any open scratch/wound the screw worms would lay eggs in and it got nasty...  they talk about havin' to cut the worms out and doctor cow and dog with some stinky tar stuff... glad them sombitches aint around nomore!!!!

Welcome to the Gun Show

rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 04:43:16 pm »

he has stories and pictures to show it.

John you should know, that is all it takes to be a internet hog hunting god! Grin

OK so why is everyone pickin on me now?Huh?  Wink Grin
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 04:48:03 pm »

just curious noah , what did the screw worms have to do with changing styles of dogs ? please elaborate as my granddaddy talked about doctoring cattle for screwworms in the 30's .

that was a brain fart , i been traveling for 2 days and ain't thinkin straight . lol

what i was getting at is they used their dogs to bay and pen cattle for doctorin , and catch the real wild ones .said they had to dig them worms out and doctor the hole and any other scratch made during the catchin . i don't know how you would hold up the kind of cattle they had then in that country with dogs that wouldn't make a cow respect a dog . i figure what that old man is talking about getting rid of is the over rough dogs ?
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 04:53:03 pm »

They say any open scratch/wound the screw worms would lay eggs in and it got nasty...  they talk about havin' to cut the worms out and doctor cow and dog with some stinky tar stuff... glad them sombitches aint around nomore!!!!

you posted before i could again haha , i was told to get rid of the screw worms they sterilized a male or something like that ? do you know the story ?
Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 04:56:07 pm »

Yeah thats what I gathered,  just culled out their catch dogs... That type of cur dog is few and far between these days in the area, and is highly sought after

...now that you mention it, I do remember him sayin something like that... I will ask him tonight

Welcome to the Gun Show

jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 05:03:11 pm »

you know , if them old boys from different places would 've been able to swap info and ideas back then like we can now .... what kind of hands would they have been ! and what kind of dogs would we have !!!!!!!!!!!
hogaholicswife
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 05:10:30 pm »

Most of them are still pretty reclusive, I have an uncle that doesn't share dogs or talk secrets with anyone, even family lol
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 05:14:52 pm »

Noah and Dan, what do you guys consider south Florida?  To me its south of the lake, but i know theres the kind of dogs you guys are talkin about north of there.
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 05:15:22 pm »

Most of them are still pretty reclusive, I have an uncle that doesn't share dogs or talk secrets with anyone, even family lol
[/quote

Thats cause he knows youll get on here and blab it...  Wink  Cheesy Cheesy
sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2012, 05:24:14 pm »

Noah, to tell you the truth, the dogs here that i have seen are garbage. They don't use them to find and bay cattle at all, we don't hold up cows with the dogs. The only thing they use dogs for here is to bring a cow back to the bunch. It just doesn't make sense to me, we have some woods pastures that are 10 sections and there are so many dick cows in there it is unbelievable. I'll finish up my thoughts later

John Esker
Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 05:52:55 pm »

you know , if them old boys from different places would 've been able to swap info and ideas back then like we can now .... what kind of hands would they have been ! and what kind of dogs would we have !!!!!!!!!!!

No doubt brother, I been hearin' more and more stories about the killens went on back then over hogs and cattle.  Competition was a part of life... And the main reason why most all them old bloodlines are dying out, because the good ones are usually the most reclusive

Welcome to the Gun Show

Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 06:05:49 pm »

One of the best breeders I know has an uncle that still does day work... says his dogs are twice what we got now... BUT...that same uncle wouldnt give nobody nothin off his blood if his life depended on it, not even family.  This is the type of person I watch for.  Small, personal breeders that take intense pride in what they feed.

Ryan, I consider south, south of Orlando

John, I was hoping you'd say I was wrong honestly lol... I have researched dogs from that area extensively, seems the modern daywork culture doesnt appreciate high end dogs anymore for some reason, just dont make sense

Welcome to the Gun Show

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: