May 22, 2024, 12:39:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing Hardware  (Read 654 times)
Steeldog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2021, 05:17:38 pm »

My Apbt is missing her upper right fang. Would you still hunt a bulldog with missing hardware or retire the animal?
HuntingHeritage
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 06:58:50 pm »

Well my catchdog broke his off at 9 months old hasn't had any affect I can see, big thanks to the A & M vet school for making it as painless for me as they could.

Have heard of catchdogs that were catching with no canines left.

the Vet at A & M told me it wouldn't make any difference as "a canine is a killing tooth not a holding tooth"

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 07:27:57 am »

I’ve seen it both ways. I don’t believe it will affect her if she’s one that gets the ear back deep in the jaw like I personally prefer. Some dogs though hold more out towards the end of the muzzle which means they need the K9’s to help. A broke tooth can still function but a missing tooth can’t obviously. That K9 is long, so when the dog sinks it in, then the hog shakes or slings it’s head, there is more leverage put on that tooth. Lots of dogs that catch the nose, the jaw, and over the top of the head end up K9less. My rationale in that is that when tooth meets bone, bone wins. That tooth will not penetrate that bone and with all the force both animals are applying, the long load bearing K9 gets broke or more times than not, knocked completely out. A lot of times this will take a little jaw bone with it and I have seen it completely break the jaw there. I have had it happen before and I think it’s important to let that dog heal as if they have a fracture. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 01:08:56 pm »

most ive seen could still grip fine with a missing k9 or 2, did have a good ab i had to retire bc he couldnt keep the ear from slipping out of his grip after his 2nd or 3rd one was knocked out
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 03:56:12 pm »

My catchdog now has no canines left.

Ive never had one over 2-3 years old that been on big hogs that didnt have one broke.

Most of my older curdogs are usually missing 1-2.

Comes with the territory
Steeldog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 05:47:56 pm »

Thanks for the reply gents. I feel much better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: