EAST TEXAS HOG DOGGERS FORUM

HOG & DOGS => HOG DOGS => Topic started by: BA-IV on March 17, 2023, 08:06:56 pm



Title: Running Hounds
Post by: BA-IV on March 17, 2023, 08:06:56 pm
Anybody have any experience or connections with some really good running hounds? What’s the blood to have nowadays in the fox pens? What’s fast and got the brains to not overrun every track?


Title: Re: Running Hounds
Post by: Cajun on March 19, 2023, 06:41:01 am
I would suggest getting dogs from people who hunt on the outside, either coyotes or deer and try to get some pups off their trail dogs.


Title: Re: Running Hounds
Post by: Birdslayer86 on March 28, 2023, 04:19:09 pm
Start doing some research on the lines winning in the pens. The southeastern US is stacked. The Carolina’s more so than any other state. I always liked the “east coast” and “Hellums” bred hounds. Good track running hounds that burn up the deer woods. Don’t look at dogs in the speed and drive look at hounds dominating the 3 days. Fox hounds guys play the numbers like the greyhound guys. They breed plenty of pups. There’s a forum just for running hounds. They don’t post much in the forum but the classifieds stay full


Title: Re: Running Hounds
Post by: Shotgun66 on March 28, 2023, 05:15:35 pm
You might want to look around on Vargys Running Hound Site. I would paste the link here for you but my phone sends me to tapatalk & I can figure out how to copy it from there.
-
I’ve read & researched the Liquor Bred Line. Never been in the woods with them. Below is a solid description of what I would consider nice, game catching woods hounds. Dave Pelzer is the author of the article.

(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230328/bcba9b683b46a2aa9cc6473b7a9afa85.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Title: Re: Running Hounds
Post by: Shotgun66 on March 28, 2023, 05:18:20 pm
You might want to reach out to Lionandboarhunter on this board as well. I’ve heard nothing but good about his running hounds & hound/cur crosses.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk