|
Title: Which is Best Post by: bghogdogtx on July 02, 2010, 08:59:07 am I know that this has been a topic before, and i know it just depends on the dog. But im just curious on the out come of this pole. My number one Strike dog is a female, but before her my best strike dog was a male.
Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: firemedic on July 02, 2010, 10:12:05 am Man you've opened up a real can of worms with that question.....I really don't think that I know....I'd say it all depends on the dog. Gonna be interesting to see what everyone else thinks though.
Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: KevinO. on July 02, 2010, 10:20:50 am I don't think you can compare the two. Good dogs are made by putting them in front of lots of pigs. Breeding goes a long ways but if you can't get them on hogs you'll never bring out the traits that make a dog excell. I've seen females just as rough or rougher than males and vice versa.
That being said the best dog I've owned was a female but I've seen males that were just as good or better than her. But like I said she's the best one I've owned and she was "made" by the buddy that gave her to me, not by me. He was hunting every night and didn't have many dry runs. IMO that's what makes a dog.....LOTS of hogs under their collar. If they have good genetics and you put them in front of enough hogs they'll develop to their full potential. I have a female (Maggie) that's about 7 now and she's been on hundreds of hogs. To me she's a cull. She finds hogs, hunts hard, ranges out, stays bayed...etc. but just never developed into a top strike dog and I have no need for a help dog. She very well may be someone elses top dog but for me I've seen much better. She was born in my yard and won't ever leave my yard. I keep her because she was my first litter ever and her handle. I can call her out, loads without saying a word and all around is a pleasure to hunt with. That being said females have heat cycles and some males will mark every bush they come by or want to sniff every female they hunt with. Give me a dog that will get out and hunt, bred right and I'll do my part to bring out the best in that dog, male or female. Long winded but that's my thoughts on males and females. Kevin O'Neal Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: bghogdogtx on July 02, 2010, 11:26:23 am Like i said i know it just depends on the dog and how it was trained and so on. But im just curious of which Sex will come out on top. Right now its an even Race, HAHA need some more guys come on
Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: bolo on July 02, 2010, 12:20:27 pm I like the gyps. Dont't have to put up with all the peeing on bushes, scratching the ground, smelling each others buts & dog fights.I like a bay dog, not a catcher-- eater--maller and as a general rule, gyps aren't as ruff.Just my opinion & just like a ## holes, we all have one!
Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: ETHHunters on July 02, 2010, 12:24:30 pm All the top dogs I have hunted with were male dogs.
Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: roughdog on July 02, 2010, 12:52:36 pm i use a whole pack of gyp and i love it
Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: Miller Lite on July 02, 2010, 01:12:54 pm i use a whole pack of gyp and i love it i 2nd that they dont piss on everything they smell Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: Lone Star 88 on July 02, 2010, 01:44:54 pm I want a male catch dog and all female bay dogs. Just think of your wife or girl friend when she is really PISSED OFF. I want that baying, and putting teeth on the hog after the catch dog is locked on.
Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: oklahoma hogger on July 02, 2010, 01:57:33 pm Females.
Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: tompkinsgil on July 02, 2010, 03:23:57 pm any thing that gets the job done ive had both that done the job
Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: Pudge on July 02, 2010, 09:42:19 pm Good and bad in both. I like a good dog whether it's a male or a female. Makes no difference to me.
Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: HIGHWATER KENNELS on July 02, 2010, 10:45:30 pm I personally have had more male dogs than gyps and enjoy the fact that they are able to hunt 12months out the yr... But if I could whip up a magic potient that would create me a longrange, silent, smart, bay not catchy, great handle,trash broke, call out on bay, catch when told only, roll out immediately, i guarantee you nobody one this site would mind if that dog was a transvestite..... ;D :o >:D
Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: dub on July 02, 2010, 11:06:05 pm I remember someone trying to start a fight with me. I told him he was a waste of time because my sister could beat him up. He thought it was smack talk but quickly found out it was the truth. Male or female if they got it they got it. Females got to left if they are in heat. But I am not breeding a dog that can't hunt like a dog male or female. The dog that hunts the way I want is best. Right now my gyp is top dog.
Highwater nailed it! Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: Reuben on July 03, 2010, 03:46:39 am Good lawd HighWater, you just said a mouthful. If you ever develop that potion I want to buy in on the formula so we can make a ton of money... ;D
Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: clint on July 03, 2010, 07:51:59 am Quote But if I could whip up a magic potient that would create me a longrange, silent, smart, bay not catchy, great handle,trash broke, call out on bay, catch when told only, roll out immediately, I have one like this right now that is a gyp... probably the best dog we've ever owned or hunted with... But I like females also... they always seem to mature way faster than males... Title: Re: Which is Best Post by: Hog Dog Mike on July 03, 2010, 08:23:23 am When it comes to bird dogs give me a female every time.
I like females but right now I just happen to have 3 males and 1 female. |