EAST TEXAS HOG DOGGERS FORUM

HOG & DOGS => HOG DOGS => Topic started by: 5150hogdogs on August 29, 2011, 07:54:51 am



Title: How many on the ground??
Post by: 5150hogdogs on August 29, 2011, 07:54:51 am
Let's here about how many dogs are on the ground when you bay a hog! I hunt two curs most of the time maybe three with two bulldogs just in case. How many do you guys and gals hunt at once?


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: halfbreed on August 29, 2011, 08:40:25 am
i prefer 2 seasond dogs and a young dog in training with a catch dog .


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: Critter Catcher on August 29, 2011, 08:59:35 am
I like 3 seasoned dogs and 2 pups..a bulldog or two


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: cantexduck on August 29, 2011, 09:13:16 am
I like 4 out hunting and two bulldogs on the wheelers. When I shoot over them I put two on the ground. I dont like having a bunch of dogs on the ground. If 4 dogs cant get it done what makes you think 8 will? I dont want my dogs in a "pack" thinking they can catch a big boar. They bay and the bulldogs do the catching. That is why I hunt alone 95% of the time. I want to hunt the way I like to hunt and dont want to worry about pissing other people off. A bunch of curs on the ground can lead to a cluster in no time.


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: airduster29 on August 29, 2011, 09:38:08 am
I usually have 4 bay/really rough bmc and one catch


Title: Re: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: boone823 on August 29, 2011, 10:17:41 am
Two seasoned dogs and one young dog in training. That's it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: ETHHunters on August 29, 2011, 10:38:15 am
Anywhere from 2 to 6. Never had any problem with several dogs on the ground. 6 dogs will bay just as good as 2 or 3.


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: SCHitemHard on August 29, 2011, 12:07:39 pm
Anywhere from 2 to 6. Never had any problem with several dogs on the ground. 6 dogs will bay just as good as 2 or 3.

2 to 6 depends on the area



Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: 5150hogdogs on August 29, 2011, 12:10:33 pm
Ok so most of us hunt pretty much the same and yes I find to many dogs will always turn into a cluster quick like


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: bignasty on August 29, 2011, 12:26:56 pm
just saw a vid of about 13 dogs i couldnt even see the hog O0


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: SCHitemHard on August 29, 2011, 12:36:42 pm
just saw a vid of about 13 dogs i couldnt even see the hog O0

we used to run 25 to 30 beagles, my papa told me once that the beagle club he was in let loose over 100 beagles on a single rabbit drag, he said it was a sight to see


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: warrent423 on August 29, 2011, 01:05:36 pm
No more than 3 good cur dogs on the ground at once  ;)


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: Poncho on August 29, 2011, 01:17:44 pm
i usually use 2 rough dogs and 1 catch


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: hogaholicswife on August 29, 2011, 03:29:12 pm
Our dogs are relatively rough but we typically hunt 2 grown dogs and a young dog with a send in CD on stand by just incase the currs have their hands full.

We do how ever take them all because we rotate them out through the night so they get the chance to hunt (plus we have been known to pull straight through to the following day or days)....and we have been a few binds where if we had an entire box to dump we would have.


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: jon on August 29, 2011, 03:47:01 pm
2-3 bays 1-2 catch


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: Sneaky Creek Kennel on August 29, 2011, 04:05:25 pm
I like to run 4 that get out and hunt. Then I run 1 dog that stays real close to the Ranger cause she can hear better than me so when she takes off I know there's a bay.
Then I normally have 2 catch dogs.


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: Noah on August 29, 2011, 05:12:17 pm
I prefer to run no more than 2... recently I've been movin' towards just one bay dog and one walk in catch dog... takes a special dog to catch hogs like this... but it sure is nice when it works...


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: bayem~and~slay em on August 29, 2011, 08:49:32 pm
3 bay/strike and two small bulldogs  hunted with a buddy we used one bay and two bulldogs that was pretty sweet but that dog was bad to the bone


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: rdjustham on August 29, 2011, 11:16:54 pm
I usually only run 2.  My seasoned dog and a started dog.  If i hunt with my buddy he has a started dog, so its my 2 and his, with my other started dog in the box for reserve.


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: tnhillbilly on August 30, 2011, 12:56:17 am
I like 4 out hunting and two bulldogs on the wheelers. When I shoot over them I put two on the ground. I dont like having a bunch of dogs on the ground. If 4 dogs cant get it done what makes you think 8 will? I dont want my dogs in a "pack" thinking they can catch a big boar. They bay and the bulldogs do the catching. That is why I hunt alone 95% of the time. I want to hunt the way I like to hunt and dont want to worry about pissing other people off. A bunch of curs on the ground can lead to a cluster in no time.
X 2


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: BA-IV on August 31, 2011, 02:57:04 pm
I prefer to run no more than 2... recently I've been movin' towards just one bay dog and one walk in catch dog... takes a special dog to catch hogs like this... but it sure is nice when it works...

No it shouldn't take a special dog to do this, it just takes a hog dog. If you can't hunt a dog by itself and catch hogs or at least find them, then the dog ain't worth breeding.  This should be every hog hunters goal, to have every dog that is 3 yrs old and better, be able to do it from start to finish SOLO.  Everything else is just about a cull.  That's what I strive for, but right now I ain't gotta dog on my yard over 2 yrs, but I hunt them by themselves quite often just to make sure they can do it.


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: 5150hogdogs on August 31, 2011, 03:37:18 pm
I prefer to run no more than 2... recently I've been movin' towards just one bay dog and one walk in catch dog... takes a special dog to catch hogs like this... but it sure is nice when it works...

No it shouldn't take a special dog to do this, it just takes a hog dog. If you can't hunt a dog by itself and catch hogs or at least find them, then the dog ain't worth breeding.  This should be every hog hunters goal, to have every dog that is 3 yrs old and better, be able to do it from start to finish SOLO.  Everything else is just about a cull.  That's what I strive for, but right now I ain't gotta dog on my yard over 2 yrs, but I hunt them by themselves quite often just to make sure they can do it.
x2


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: geronimo on August 31, 2011, 03:50:50 pm
2 on the ground but alot of times they split and sometimes i have had them both baying at the same time, so i could say 1 or 2 on the ground for me, with a walk in catch dog or i have a running catch dog if i prefer to have her on the ground?


Title: Re: How many on the ground??
Post by: oklahoma hogger on September 01, 2011, 05:56:29 pm
3 bay 2 catch 8)