|
Title: question for you hound guys Post by: PEEWEE on January 18, 2012, 07:27:48 pm Just wondering why plotts and walkers are sometimes silent and other hounds aren't are they bread that way and do other hounds come silent also I ask because I know almost nothing on hounds other than there breed name lol
Title: Re: question for you hound guys Post by: hoghunter71409 on January 18, 2012, 07:49:11 pm Pewee, I am a plott guy. I've hunted with other types of hounds, but I just stay with plotts. I dont know why some hounds are open and some are not; I guees they could be bred that way. Just becuase you cross two silent hounds doesn't promise that the pups will be silent. I know a lot of guys that cross two gritty hounds and the pups come out less than gritty. As per breed, I dont know, I would guess that some of it is luck, some of it is how pups are raised and some of it is breeding. I'll say that most plotts and most walkers that I have hunted with are all open. I know some of the plott X bmc crosses come out silent.
Title: Re: question for you hound guys Post by: SCHitemHard on January 18, 2012, 07:50:08 pm its just the way the breed is, like with plotts there are "coon" plotts then there are "big game" plotts, most coon style plotts are gonna ring the leaves off the trees while they track
its just the way it runs i guess Title: Re: question for you hound guys Post by: RyanTBH on January 18, 2012, 08:05:27 pm We run BMC x Plott and they are silent... That's what we call boar hounds!!! You could PM blakebh and he might be able to give you some info...
Title: Re: question for you hound guys Post by: BIG BEN on January 19, 2012, 07:20:38 am Its just luck of the draw, you'll never see a whole litter of any breed of hound silent even plotts. Ive see hundreds of litters of walkers growing up and never seen one that was silent out of the line we had.
Title: Re: question for you hound guys Post by: blakebh on January 19, 2012, 08:02:39 am I have a full Plott that is pretty much silent, will open on very hot track but for the most part silent. You would have to ask leifbarnes but I think her parents were culled as coon dogs because they would not open enough on track. I also have a 3/4 BMC 1/4 Plott pup that both parents were silent, pretty rough and both good strike dogs. She is open and not real rough but will flat out go hunting at 10 months. ;D Like BIG BEN said its just the luck of the draw!
Title: Re: question for you hound guys Post by: jsh on January 19, 2012, 10:59:05 am Never seen a 100% silent hound. Thought I had one, but after 5 years he just couldn't keep it in anymore...........
Title: Re: question for you hound guys Post by: SCHitemHard on January 19, 2012, 11:15:25 am only 100% silent hound ive had was a little walker gyp that would only tree bark but no chop on track, tried her on hogs but she never went for it. i found her chained to a tree and im thinkin she was a coon dog and someone ditched her cause she didnt trail bark. loved the heck outta her
Title: Re: question for you hound guys Post by: Jmesonp1 on January 20, 2012, 08:52:26 pm its a total crap shoot. had lots of plotts. (100's) most barked a least a little on track a few did not. they treed a BUNCH of bears but were impossible to train pups with. damn!
Title: Re: question for you hound guys Post by: zachW on January 21, 2012, 10:26:34 am I might be wrong but i was snooping on another sight, and if your competition coon hunting isn't it a Dq. Or less point or serving negative if your hound is silent?
Title: Re: question for you hound guys Post by: driller1987 on January 21, 2012, 11:23:52 am Thats true zack
|