EAST TEXAS HOG DOGGERS FORUM

HOG & DOGS => GENERAL DISCUSSION => Topic started by: 5G ybmc on April 26, 2012, 12:57:47 pm



Title: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: 5G ybmc on April 26, 2012, 12:57:47 pm
I am 59 & hog hunt every chance i get.  had 2 heart atack,s 50% of my heart does not work. and i work 12 hour shift,s 44 hours a week.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: BA-IV on April 26, 2012, 01:12:52 pm
I feel for you being that old and still working, but also respect it.  I'm 23 so I have nothing to complain about.  Now being in the military, more specifically the Infantry, it's a job that is really really hard on the body.  I'm 23 and already know what I have to look forward to when I'm 40 and 50 by looking at other guys my age in the same branch.  Still though, would never take anything for the experiences I've had and it's still not enough to complain about.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: RyanTBH on April 26, 2012, 01:35:47 pm
I'm 27 and hunt every chance I get... I work 80hours a pay period, and can't complain about a lot. I'm just ready to be back in shape from my injuries. Other than that, loving life and hoping to be able to get old. Props to you for doing and being who and how you are! Keep it up... My father-in-law always says, "when I stop moving and doing my bones are going to get stiff!" So keep on keepin' on!


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: heavyhitter89 on April 26, 2012, 02:00:25 pm
I'm 23 with a 2 year old son and work roughly 50-60 hours a week and help take care of my dad since he had his stroke and became pearlized. Learned everything from him. He goes with me time to time when its cool outside. 57 years old paralizzed and he still tries it all. Props go out to generation before me for hanging in there and steering the young men the right way.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: tuskbuster on April 26, 2012, 02:21:26 pm
goin on 53 and DAM i cant do what i used to. i walked about 1 1/2 the other night at the festival with my grandson and my knees were so sore the next day could barely hobble around ,i miss the days of runnin  miles after the dogs,now its all i can do to ride horseback enough just to get to a bay. have to let to younguns have all the glory ;D


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: Txmason on April 26, 2012, 02:29:57 pm
I'll be 70 this year and work or hunt dogs every day except Sunday.  Not as fast or strong as I once was but still get there and catch a lot of hogs.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: drew on April 26, 2012, 02:37:09 pm
29 and i will until the day i die if i cant walk i will have somthing or some one haul my a$$ around


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: RyanTBH on April 26, 2012, 02:50:20 pm
I'll be 70 this year and work or hunt dogs every day except Sunday.  Not as fast or strong as I once was but still get there and catch a lot of hogs.
Mr.Mason, I'd have to say I envy that very much, and hope that one day I will be able to say the same. Good luck to you in your health, life, and passion!

P.S. Thank you for helping pave the way, and keeping it "updated" for all us doggers.  ;D


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: RL on April 26, 2012, 02:58:04 pm
I'm 58 and active.  Still work, navigating the tax code.  Trap hogs from Nov to May.  I run marathons.  Usually run 50 to 70 miles per week and ride about the same on a mountain bike and usually ride 50 miles on my road bike on the weekends.  Next marathon is Berlin in late Sept.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: charles on April 26, 2012, 03:33:25 pm
I'm 58 and active.  Still work, navigating the tax code.  Trap hogs from Nov to May.  I run marathons.  Usually run 50 to 70 miles per week and ride about the same on a mountain bike and usually ride 50 miles on my road bike on the weekends.  Next marathon is Berlin in late Sept.

dont fill up on the snitzels and kraut so much u cant run.  ;D


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: Hog Dog Mike on April 26, 2012, 03:56:14 pm
I am 68 and I still hint at least 1 time per week if I can find somebody to go. Really would like to hunt more. Had 5 bypasses and cancer surgery on the prostate. Also had knee surgery and foot surgery on both feet. Couple of hernia surgeries but so what---I am not complaining.

Will be hunting until the day they plant me. I fish quite a bit also. However, I just love hunting with dogs and training dogs.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: riverbottomhoghunter on April 26, 2012, 08:42:41 pm
im 14 and i love to hunt i hunt every chance i get


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: askog on April 26, 2012, 08:58:02 pm
17 everytime yelladogwreckincrew (matt) does seein as i have no spots of my own yet


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: Wmwendler on April 26, 2012, 09:10:06 pm
I"m 19.... ;)


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: M Bennet on April 26, 2012, 09:13:00 pm
im 40 and will hunt until i cant any more


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: bob on April 26, 2012, 09:23:57 pm
41 , Ive  broken my pelvis in 5 places , guts shoved threw my throat and spent 6 months in a wheel chair and still chasing dogs


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: WayOutWest on April 26, 2012, 10:15:34 pm
I'm 57 and come to Texas every winter and hunt all I can while there. I gotta bust my but to keep up to the 20 and 30 somethings I hunt with but I'm usually not the first to the bay but I always get my hands dirty.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: djhogdogger on April 26, 2012, 10:23:39 pm

 Im 42 and I hunt every chance I get. I wish that we could hunt more than a couple times a week. Mr. Mason has the life.  :)


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: Kid7 on April 26, 2012, 10:24:02 pm
im only 16 and lovin every minute of it.... ive been cut by a javelina(that story is for a different time and a different day) lol, broke almost every bone in my upper body at least one point in time, cant even begin to count the wrecks ive been in with cows or horses, had an arrow shot through my hand(again...different time a different day), and know everyone that works in the ER real well! but hey a few of them are pretty good lookin so thats the up side of goin to the emergency room lol. and i hunt every chance i get. got alot of years to go....


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: SwampHunter on April 26, 2012, 10:26:22 pm
i will be 23 here in a few hours an i work mon through saturday an hunt as much as i can , usally 1 or 2 times a week but has been as many as 7 if we got the places to go if im not hunting im usally fishing


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: Swine-Stalker on April 26, 2012, 10:51:23 pm
27, 3 kids, work? Depends on if something breaks. If not, 40-50 hrs a week. Try to hunt once a week with a break every couple weeks to participate in my domestic obligations. Hunt with some good people with lots of places and we have added our to theirs. Got enough places to stay gone but family is priority until family is old enough to hunt.



(http://img.tapatalk.com/a693735a-178e-c133.jpg)(http://img.tapatalk.com/a693735a-17ab-5c73.jpg)


Title: Re: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: BigCutters4 on April 26, 2012, 10:57:42 pm
32 and still at it but I'm at a point now where I'm more focused on dogs and not so much gotta catch a hog

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: justincorbell on April 27, 2012, 01:05:25 am
25, had out first youngin 3 weeks ago,  and i have 10 dogs......i hunt anytime i can, baby and the ol lady come first now.


"the sun is shining somewhere in texas" -Jason Boland


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: Reuben on April 27, 2012, 06:11:42 am
I am 56 years old...as a kid I lived way out in the boonies...lots of hard word ranching and farming...my friends lived far enough away that it just made it easy to just hunt almost every day with my dogs...sometimes twice a day if I could get away with it...life was hard but the dogs made it fun...

Now, I would like to hunt twice a week but once a week is ok...every now and then I go every other week but when you have the right hunting dogs it really doesn't matter...they still find and catch hogs....of course feeding any good dog tracks just makes them that much better...

Also retired from a chemical company and went back to work in Safety/Permit writing after laying off a few years...I wanted to know how it felt like to not work for a while...didn't like it... ;D but if I won the big lotto... I would be huntin every day but mostly with dogs...fooling with dogs would be my full time job...


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: RL on April 27, 2012, 07:30:22 am
On a slightly different note, I am surprised by the physical issues many of the posters have.  Not sure why.  Just surprised.  Most of my social groups involve runners or cyclists and most don't have health issues so I guess that seems normal.  Plus, I trap alone.

I wish the best for those that have ailments.  Enjoy doing what you can do.  Oh, any you younger people, take care of yourself.  Some of you seem to have little regard to banging up your bodies.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: firemedic on April 27, 2012, 08:01:45 am
I'm 60 and work 106 hrs. per 2 week pay period. I'm very lucky to have some seriously good genes in me in that my relatives have all been healthy and lived to be well into their 90s. I would hunt at least twice a week if I had the hogs available to hunt, but that's not the case where I live. I hope to retire early next year and do much more hunting and fishing. I can still do just about anything I could when I was in my 20s....just may take a bit longer to do it. I hope to be able to travel more after i retire and maybe get to meet and hunt with some of the wonderful folks I've met on here....I look forward to it..... ;D


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: BRS on April 27, 2012, 09:13:23 am
I'm 20 and plan on hunting until I can't but only to stop when I have passed on as much as I can to younger hunters


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: magnuml on April 27, 2012, 11:17:52 am
I am 43. Since 2008 i have had 3 back surgeries and one shoulder surgery. I have 6 screws and 2 rods in my back and 1 screw thru my tailbone into the base of my spine. usually walk with a cane due to nerve damage in leg but i started up again last October with my son and friends. Toby Keith wrote that song for me " Not as good as i once was, but good once as i ever was" lol. Starting over with young dog's because i placed all mine out and sold everything else i had ( Truck, Tracking system, Box , hog trailer) thinking i was never going to hunt again. Now i try and go a couple times a month and i am glad i can still get out and do it.  Can't hunt alone anymore, can't run to a bay and can't carry a hog but i can still pull my weight in other areas. Another reason i love hog hunting and have done it for so long is because it is a team sport. from my wife to my kids and friends. It gets in your blood and you can;t get rid of it. Lee


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: cpasket on April 27, 2012, 11:44:40 am
Im 18 and hunt every weekend and most of the week cant get enough of it..


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: SCHitemHard on April 27, 2012, 12:40:40 pm
im 23, gonna be married in less than 5 months. work 3 jobs, total almost 60 hours a week. dont hog hunt but i still hit the lake and do some squirrel and coon hunts when i can drag myself out to do it


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: hog hunter 72 on April 27, 2012, 01:41:32 pm
I'll be 40 in June and 5G is my dad and he still can beat me to the bay.My son is 11 and my nephew is 14 and they got the fever bad . It brings back memory's of me and my brother when we was that age and my dad was teaching us how to hunt and now he is teaching his grandkids he is the best dad and papa a kid could have and the smartest man I know.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: gary fuller on April 27, 2012, 02:26:11 pm
 im 57 and havent hunted in almost a month as i have pnuemonia. ive been retired 2 years now and sadly my hunting has slowed down since i retired.seems since i retired i only hunt one to 3 times a month. when i was 48 i was hunting 3 nights a week.  the  three of us who hut together the most   are 57, 57 and 58. and i hunt the least now of us . i can still walk 10 miles  on flat ground but the hills kick my butt lol.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: olddogger on April 27, 2012, 05:21:42 pm
I'm 57 started running dogs at 17 and 40 years is a long time but I still love it. I go when I can or when someone invites me, hint, hint hint (Tcolt) (Cwhite-25).














Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: jimco on April 28, 2012, 08:37:23 am
Fixin to be 97 and run 5 miles a day, hold 2 day jobs, and hunt the Louisiana Swamps every night.  ;D   Just Kidding.

     I just turned 50. I hunted deer,duck, frogs, and Alligators all my life. I fell off a ladder a few years back and had serious
     setback and just quit all hunting and fishing. Had Catahoulas on and off since I was a kid. Decided to give Hog Hunting a
     try after my son met a few fellas and got started. Been building a pack. I mostly just enjoy working the dogs every day.
     I work a 7 days on 7 days off hitch so this coming winter all pups should be ready.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: t.wilbanks on April 28, 2012, 07:13:01 pm
ive been hunting hogs since mobydick was a sardine...   ;)


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: firemedic on April 28, 2012, 08:45:43 pm
ive been hunting hogs since mobydick was a sardine...   ;)

You pushin' for a TV show young Wilbanks?


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: jwdeltx on April 28, 2012, 09:37:48 pm
I’m 56 and hunt as often as I can, living on the Colorado river helps. But as for age I have a friend that is 84 and still hunts as often as often as he possibly can. He is the ultimate hog hunter ,has some of the best dogs in Texas and kills a lot of hogs!!!!   He is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever known. He hales from Scharlet  Texas and I guess he will go till his last hunt. God Bless MR Jack.     Hunt'um up !!!!


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: arrowbar on April 29, 2012, 02:52:31 pm
I will be 28 in a few weeks, I hunt as often as I get a chance. I have been taking my oldest who is 9 and he is really loving everything about the hunt.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: Hog Dog Mike on April 29, 2012, 04:00:16 pm
Most of my surgeries were due to injuries I had from leading a rough younger life. When you are young and healthy it is easy to say what you will and will not do. All of us are fighting a losing battle with father time. Alot of the things that I thought I was over are now creeping up on me.

You can run and bicycle all you want but the human body was not designed to run 10 miles a day. It will work for a while but catch up to you in the end. A guy in my church keeled over dead jogging @ 42 and he was a picture of health. I have noticed alot of the folks at the health club that run alot always have feet and ankle problems.

When they get old that is going to catch up. That is why I swim which is low impact.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: TexasHogDogs on April 29, 2012, 04:33:40 pm
51 hunt as much as I can.  Was hunting up till this year 4-5 times a week for a long time but when one partner went down due to health reasons and the other one moved back home it kinda ruff around here.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: tuskbuster on April 29, 2012, 07:59:36 pm
  i hear ya HDM,my body never was made for a bike .little too wide in the butt and shoulders,.35 yrs bent over on the brick pile dont help my old body either.as you say a ROUGH young life will catch up to you but i still raise brake and train colts,and WALK to bays when i go huntin.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: Hog Dog Mike on April 30, 2012, 01:37:28 pm
A friend of mine was running marathons until his knees went. Then he started cycling in competition----lots of miles. He had a wreck and had an injury on his hand which required surgery. I have an exercise bike that I ride some but it does not make my knees feel right. I am better off swimming.


Title: Re: how old are you & do you still hunt
Post by: Reuben on April 30, 2012, 01:51:41 pm
yea hog dog Mike...I have been looking fo an excercise bike so I can start riding in my hag out room...but haven't found one I like just yet...I need one with a 30" wide cushiony seat with arm rests...been waiting a long time but still haven't made the perfect one for the baby boomers... :(