October 02, 2026, 05:25:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shutting down a runner with the dogs you have  (Read 3906 times)
djhogdogger
Hog Doom
*********
Offline Offline

Posts: 4180


Dinah Psencik from Dayton Tx.


View Profile
« on: January 02, 2012, 11:11:49 pm »

Guess that I'm going to have to chime in on this one,.....I've had a dog of some kind since I was 5 yrs. old....and I'll be 60 in 11 days, so I have a fair basis for speculation I think. Dogs, it seems to me, are like any other mammal, us included, they just plain don't feel good some days. Simple as that I say,.....yet we expect them to perform to perfection every time we take them out. I doubt that there's a person on here that hasn't said or felt that they just didn't want to do a stinkin' thing for a day or two.....and probably said that in the last week or two.

   As Dinah said earlier, folks will be all tore up 'cause their dogs got outrun by some hog, and be downright ready to sell 'em all and get a new pack of those infamous 'stop a runner' dogs you hear about all the time. Since we don't perform at our maximum every day.....then why would you expect your dogs to?

   I have hunted hogs with dogs for a loooong time and I do believe that if a hog wants to run,......it's going to...period! Nothing you nor your dogs can do about it. Now I'm saying this as someone that hunts hogs in the thick stuff,...all you folks from the SE know exactly what I'm talking about. It could be different in the more open country that some of y'all hunt....not sure about that. Doesn't matter how fast a dog is, it simply cannot outrun,....now I said 'outrun'....not just keep up with an 80 lb. hog in the thickets here in the South. This is my simple opinion here, garnered from a lot of time watching and listening to some kind of dog try to catch up to and stop a wild hog.

   So I would say this,....if you're dogs produce hogs regularly for you, give them a break when they get outrun,....this is supposed to be fun, .....enjoy your time out with your dogs,...I'm bettin' that they're gonna do you a good job next time out. I do agree with Miss Dinah about the fact that dogs do better when hunted regularly,....I know that I do!

You said what I was thinking, only better.  Grin
Logged

A television can insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in like a computer.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by EzPortal
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!