|
t-dog
|
 |
« on: September 29, 2012, 11:48:47 pm » |
|
Good friends are hard to beat and thanks to hog hunting, I've made quite a few. My buddy Michael Skrhak and I went in on our first hog dog pup together as partners. We gave $20 for her and sure had to scrape to come up with ten dollars each. We still hunt together and still share the same line of dogs. JT Morgan was old enough to be my grandpa and was supposed to be mean as a snake according to all my running buddies. I drove past his place everyday and just couldn't take not stopping and talking hog hunting and dogs with someone that had hog dogs. We hunted together for years until he finally passed away. When I moved to Palestine, I met Bo Henry and his crew. Again, I can't tell you how many times we were in the woods together. Tommy Crump from Frankston is another dog man that I get to call a friend. We still talk dogs, it's just long distance now. Lee Slider and Michael Yancey from Jacksonville are to more that I will go to the woods with anyday of the week. We still keep in close contact and keep pretty close tabs on one another's families. Way out West comes down in January every year. He's old enough to be my great great grandpa, but with age comes wisdom. He's a pretty sharp tack when it comes to dogs. For his age, he's a heck of a hand in the woods. Then there's Bubba Leasman from Leander. As nice a guy as there is, do anything in the world to help ya. My buddy Edgar Glisson is 76 yrs old and I'm not sure how old Scott Basset is, but I'm gonna guess about the same as Edgar. They just left Texas to return home to Florida for the second time this year. Right here at home I've got Sid Garrison, his stepson Tyler Katz and his girlfriend Allen. There's always a laugh to be had with those guys. Even though they live on the wrong side of the river, old Jimmy (yes I meant old and not Ol' Jimmy) and KILLER KYLE have been good friends and fun to hunt with for several years. A fella never had better hunting partners than Reat and hogdown. We all know what to expect from each other and hunt the same family of dogs for the most part. I gotta get hogdown on a diet though. I couldn't understand why he was stopping so often and telling me his chest was hurting the last hunt. True enough, we had made a few steps, but he's nearly half my age. A couple days later, my little boy and I went to eat lunch with hime and his family. This cat orders a large chicken fried steak, extra gravy, and a double order of french fries. I'm just sayin.... Sorry, I got off track. I feel blessed to be able to call these guys friends. There are a ton of other people that I haven't mentioned and I hope I didn't offend anyone by not mentioning them. My hope is that I get to make many more buds just like these guys. Heck, maybe one day ol' Rueben or Halfbreed will have time to make a hunt, heck anybody for that matter. I have yet to hunt with anyone that I didn't learn something from.
|