September 28, 2026, 10:25:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running Catch Dogs (How Many Have)  (Read 42036 times)
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 1630


View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 02:44:14 pm »

I understand what Josh is talking about, its another style of hunting, with a differant style of dog is all.

I have some intrest in the finder/holder myself, this is not a RCD like ya'll are thinking about. It will not work everywhere. No body seems to be trying to talk anybody into doing it. And many don't understand anything about them. He is talking about clasic Austrailian style finder/ holders( I believe), that does not mean "One out" dogs.

I hunt two ways, one is for fun, I load up my bay dogs and a catch dog and go hunting like everyone else.

But while I am working, checking cattle, feeding, fencing going to and from I like to have two dogs on the truck that I can drop on hogs that they can see or wind, I want those dogs to track by sight, sent, and sound and catch asap. We are over run with hogs in my country and while I am working I need to be able to catch some hogs quick and get back to work. I have alot of neighbors that are having big hog problems and need some help. They are not crazy about droping 4-5 bay dogs in a pasture and chasing pigs everywhere, but droping two dogs that will run and catch is a little differant deal.

I can see a time in the near future where alot of ranchers and farmers in west Texas will be buying and using  pairs of finder/holder type dogs to do a job. They are not in it for the fun of the hunt, they want to kill the hogs that are eating them out of house and home.

For example: I am checking wheat pasture cattle horseback and I am pulling a trailer with two horses. I am driving between pastures and as I pull up to the next place I see a sounder running off the wheat with a big boar bringing up the rear. Now I don't want to turn out 3-4 baydogs and follow up with a catch dog and hope they can stop the big boar before he ends up on the neighbors place a mile away. I want to be able to drop two dogs that can run a mile and catch the boar, then back to work.

Just my two cents, HAHA

Now if ya'll want to jump on me for that, then go right ahead, HAHA

Thank,
Paul T
Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by EzPortal
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!