|
crackerc
|
 |
« on: February 01, 2013, 09:26:17 pm » |
|
I hunt Fla curs and they are a different dog than the TX dogs I have hunted with. I don't know anyone that has 4 Fla dogs they can hunt together and have them bay. They are going to catch with that many dogs on the ground. I usually hunt one dog on the ground or two at the most. And they are still going to catch all but a big bad hog.
I just can't get over the pics posted with 5-9 dogs baying a 100 lb sow. It just isn't going to happen with these Fla dogs. I would be happy if I could get two dogs to bay together , without catching.
In the other survey I tried to explain that there are way more types of dogs than just the "A" or "B" he was looking for. I have seen dogs bay from 20' away. That's great if you have a hog that will stand and bay. These hogs around here are hunted 365 days a year and the ones that did stand and bay have mostly been eliminated from the gene pool. So you need a tighter baying dog, one that will put teeth on a hog to stop it, then back up a little and bay when it stops to fight.
I really DON'T want my find dogs catching, but they do at times...most of the time........ unless its a big bad hog.
My old dogs were "catch them where you find them" type of dogs. You catch a lot of hogs that way, but you get a lot of wrecks and vet bills too! So I started hunting differently (and I think a little smarter) by hunting less dogs and a catch dog (if I needed it). I still get wrecked and cut up, but not as often as I did.
Lost of different styles of bay dogs. Just depends on where you hunt, how pressured the hogs are, the terrain, etc. When you hunt thick palmettos, cypress swamps, gallberry thickets, etc a loose baying dog isn't going to keep a hog bayed from 15'-20' away. The hog is going to slip out the back door and be gone in the thickest stuff he can find to run in.
Fine line between being too gritty and not gritty enough in thick cover.
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
|
|
|
|