June 02, 2024, 11:29:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hog dog-ology  (Read 6698 times)
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 01:25:44 pm »

Here is another conundrum.... Finds their own hogs....? That phrase in itself needs to be defined here. Are you walking, driving or dropping your dogs within 100 or even 200 yards of said hogs? To me that is not a dog finding their own hogs. That's a dog being fed hogs and darn near any dog that will bay a hog can do this.

I got in this debate in another thread but I guess I see things different than a lot of hunters out there....

So to answer your question I will not breed a dog that cannot TRULY find THEIR own hogs...

I think we hunt allot a like Chad!  We actually need to do it again! 

My guess is u run long range dogs. I do not. I road mine. I expect them to wind and if we cross a track I expect them to go with it. If I stop they should hunt the area out to around 300 yards. I know in some places a man can see that far but if it is pine thickets u can't. On farms I hunt this range will cover 90% of the fields.

I wouldn't call it long range. I hunt a lot by boat. I drop a dog or two and I want them to cover at least a 800 to 1000 yard radius before we load up and head on down the waterway. Does this always happen? No, but that is ideal for me because I'm lazy and aint walking unless their bayed... lol

I think we hunt allot a like Chad!  We actually need to do it again! 

Oh, and we WALKED to the bay when you hunted with me!  Wink  3 bays if i rememeber right!  Wink

Actually it was 4 bays we had to walk to..counting the one from the morning before... But whos counting Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: