October 11, 2026, 06:35:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Grade  (Read 3424 times)
Reuben
Internet Hog Hunting Specialist
**********
Offline Offline

Posts: 9508


View Profile
« on: February 06, 2014, 04:57:56 am »

I'm a strong advocate of culling hard but having said that a guy needs to be knowledgeable enough to know what might have caused a young dog to fail in some of the situations we as handlers may have put them it.   I'm no pro but when a dog makes a mistake I try to evaluate the entire situation for answers before I take extreme action.

I say Amen to that...we have to analyze the situation and make a sound decision based on the facts...I believe in culling hard but we must be logical about it...lots of times it is not the dog but the handler's lack brain power or experience...

some cull too hard and some not hard enough...

when starting out and creating a new line we must evaluate each individual dog and sometimes make exceptions but as we move forward there shouldn't be any excuses as to why we are breeding a dog that is not a good dog...and just about every time we cross breed or outcross we will lose some good qualities if we don't take the time and care to slowly bring those traits we hope to improve on...but if you don't care to develop a strain but only get a few good dogs then it is ok to do it that way...but doing it that way to often when trying to develop a line of dogs and we will be spinning our wheels...

Logged

Training dogs is not about quantity, it's more about timing, the right situations, and proper guidance...After that it's up to the dog...
A hunting dog is born not made...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by EzPortal
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!