October 03, 2026, 09:59:12 am
Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
News
:
WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS
Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Login
Register
EAST TEXAS HOG DOGGERS FORUM
>
Forum
>
HOG & DOGS
>
HOG DOGS
>
range?
>
Message #499375
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
« previous
next »
Print
Author
Topic: range? (Read 3584 times)
Reuben
Internet Hog Hunting Specialist
Offline
Posts: 9508
Re: range?
«
on:
March 31, 2014, 06:59:04 pm »
I have had dogs that had to be kept on a leash until we were where I wanted then casted...all better be ready to go before turning loose...these type of dogs hunt fore themselves and I really don't like this kind of dog...they will keep hunting out until they hit a good track...
the dog I like best is one where I get ready to roll out and the dog will leave out but is a thorough hunting dog...they constantly check in but cover lots of ground and will take a track as far as needed to bay a hog...this type of dog will keep hunting out if I stop...but as long as they hear the wheeler they will loop around to the right and then back to the left...always looping 3-4 hundred yards to each side of the wheeler...
long range dogs are a pain more often than not...in todays time there are way more smaller places to than larger places to hunt...so the long range dogs will sometimes miss hogs close up because they usually start hunting good in the next ranch...
about a medium range dog that wants to hunt with me is what I prefer...and that dog does not miss very many hogs because it knows where and how to find hogs...and lots of bottom is like a double edged sword...I would rather shorten the race with dog power rather than breeding the bottom out of the dog...
Logged
Training dogs is not about quantity, it's more about timing, the right situations, and proper guidance...After that it's up to the dog...
A hunting dog is born not made...
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
Print
« previous
next »
Jump to:
Please select a destination:
-----------------------------
NEWS AND UPDATES
-----------------------------
=> TEXAS LAWS and BILLS
-----------------------------
HOG & DOGS
-----------------------------
=> DOGS ON HOGS
=> HOG DOGS
=> GENERAL DISCUSSION
=> HOG HUNTING CONTESTS
=> BEST HOGS
=> HOG TOTALS 2012
===> HOG TOTALS 2010
===> HOG TOTALS 2009
===> HOG TOTALS 2008
=> VIDEOS ON HOGS
-----------------------------
THE CLASSIFIEDS
-----------------------------
=> THE DOG TRADE
=> CLASSIFIED ADS
-----------------------------
GENERAL CATEGORY
-----------------------------
=> HUNTING AND FISHING
=> BAY PENS
Powered by
EzPortal
Loading...