October 10, 2026, 12:10:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short range and rough  (Read 10407 times)
Black Streak
Alpha Dog
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 583


View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 11:57:06 pm »

I couldn't judge a catchdog in an open field ....we  hunt ruff briar patches and  row planted pines with head  high briars and myrtle bushes mixed ....god ain't made a dog that can out run a 200 pound boar that don't want to be out run through it .....damn  my old jerry dog could suck one up cross and open field seen him do it several times cross rice fields ....hey man I'm sure  you have  some nice  dogs ....   you the one  crowed about how I needed different dogs to catch with and  you have  no idea where or  what kind  of country I hunt ...so how would me watching you turn a hog loose in a field tell  me anything about what it would do here  in this  mess ......bring  your  dog here we'll try and  bay one  and  you send  your  dog ...thats hog hunt'n for me anyway and no use  for me  to look at  anything else ...


    If your cd can't  make up the distance and catch a pig before it gets out of the feild how do you expect it to chase one down in the brush where the pig has the advantage?     If your bay dog can't hold a pig at bay in a feild while you walk up to it with your lead in cd, how you expect your bay dog to hold one at bay in the brush where the pig can excape the dog.    If you have dogs that can do this, then at least they have the physical capabilities to begin with.       Common is the thought process of fast dogs are no good in the brush cause it just slows them down.   Well that's true, it does slow them down but it slowed the slow dogs down to that were at a disadvantage to begin with.       

     Pigs that are started with a bay dog can take you and the cd anywhere it wants.     To hunt pigs in your country I would simply just use finder holders.    A dog that bays that finds a pig in the brush barks 3 times to see the pigs vanish and hear them running through crap they can't get through.    A finder holder finds this same pig and instead of introducing itself to the pig with a bark, attaches itself to the pig.    This pig didn't run on the bay dog before it started barking 9 times out of 10, I promis!    Also pigs that escape through the brush are normally found close to it, not in the stuff they used to escape the dog.    So what if they are and the catch dog misses and the pig escapes, same thing would have happened with a barking dog.       You bark at high pressured pigs close to cover and it's bye bye pig.  You catch the pig close to cover and your tying it close to cover.   Simple really.   My dogs catch them in thick stuff.   My dogs also get beat in thick stuff but no more than my old baydogs did.     Once in a while I could catch a pig in the open where it was started.  Now I catch 90 percent of my pigs in the open where they are started.  Oh I can hunt the thick stuff and do fine but I don't need to look for pigs there unless it's in the heat of the day.   
     
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by EzPortal
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!