October 06, 2026, 10:23:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trail barking!!!!  (Read 19841 times)
bigo
Alpha Dog
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 591


View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2017, 08:42:59 am »

I hunted hogs with curs, not because they were silent, but because they got the job done to suit me. The old myth of dogs trail barking scaring all the hogs away is BS. Over the many years of hunting, I have hunted with many people with open dogs and I never felt it changed the outcome of a hunt. On a hunt in west Texas with a friend that hunted Plotts, we caught 28 hogs in two mornings on the same place. I caught 4 hogs one morning with an old hound running around opening  but going nowhere and never got off 200 acres. The hound never made it to a bay. I could go on and on. If they are not getting the job done, open or silent, they are just not good enough.
    The same thing go's for breaking bay. If nearly all the hogs you get on are breaking bay, your dogs are causing it. The last few years I hunted, the vast majority of hogs that broke, did so right before the catch dog got to them. The hog would meet the dog head on at full speed and steam roll them. That's like sending a pickup to catch an on coming freight train. The truck looses every time.
     You young hunters that are not set in your ways, don't miss out on a good dog because he is open. If he's a good one, he will get the job done.
Logged

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by EzPortal
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!