October 07, 2026, 02:36:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Horn training  (Read 2763 times)
rebel ridge kennels
Bay Dog
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 61


View Profile
« on: February 19, 2012, 07:32:37 pm »

  Does anyone horn train their hog dogs? I used to run fox and coyote hounds  and I always horn trained them thought it might be useful for  hog hounds as well. Opinions?
Logged
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom
*********
Offline Offline

Posts: 4087


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:33:50 pm »

Kinda I blow mine at the house some.
Logged
rebel ridge kennels
Bay Dog
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 61


View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 07:40:15 pm »

 My foxhounds were so well trained I could actually call em off a track .I am going next week to look at some pups I think I am gonna train them to horn.
Logged
Reuben
Internet Hog Hunting Specialist
**********
Offline Offline

Posts: 9508


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 08:00:04 pm »

I used to have my dogs trained to the truck horn as well as a bull horn...but early 1990s technoloy (4 wheeler and tracking system) changed all that... Smiley
Logged

Training dogs is not about quantity, it's more about timing, the right situations, and proper guidance...After that it's up to the dog...
A hunting dog is born not made...
rebel ridge kennels
Bay Dog
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 61


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:28:31 pm »

  I had a bull horn then switched to an air horn off a semi .you could hear that thing for miles
Logged
jalston
Catch Dog
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 232


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 08:45:20 pm »

i drive to feed my dogs, i blow my horn ever time i go feed...worked on pups, young dogs better than older dogs
Logged
rebel ridge kennels
Bay Dog
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 61


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 08:49:36 pm »

  I blew my at feed time and carried a coffee can of dog food,when I called em in I gave em a few bites before I put em in the box.When they are hungry that horn meant food and they came running.
Logged
halfbreed
Hog Doom
*********
Offline Offline

Posts: 4262


MR. Whitten


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 09:20:25 pm »

thats when i do my horn training at feeding time . it has almost allways worked  Grin  then sometimes blowing the horn just gives you something to do while waiting on the dogs to come in  Grin also banging the metal feed pans together when feeding the young pups solves all problems with a dog being gun shy when older . and sorry reuben when garmin and the 4 wheelers will make a dog quit runnin and come back from the other side of the river or property line i'll quit using the horn  Wink
Logged

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Wmwendler
Boar Slayer
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 1162



View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 09:46:23 pm »

My foxhounds were so well trained I could actually call em off a track .I am going next week to look at some pups I think I am gonna train them to horn.

Its handy.  I've always just tought them come to my call and then incorporate the horn after that.  How do you teach them to come to the horn?

Waylon
Logged
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 1424



View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 10:01:41 pm »

Where can I get a horn ??
Logged
halfbreed
Hog Doom
*********
Offline Offline

Posts: 4262


MR. Whitten


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 11:46:26 pm »

waylon i just blow the horn at feeding time and they get to associate the horn with me and food . then i;ll work them seperatly by blowing the horn and using come here commands while there on a long line . and then now i'll take a couple to the woods with an e-collar on and while they are in sight i'll blow the horn and hollar here and if they dont respond i'll buzz em a little . then i;ll blow the horn and no command and if they don't respond i'll buzz em . bout like using the tone function on the e-collar . now the horn ain't a magical flute some dogs is hard headed and won't quit and come in . but it will stick with most dogs and end a race  or make em quit huntin and come back in .
Logged

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Reuben
Internet Hog Hunting Specialist
**********
Offline Offline

Posts: 9508


View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 07:30:45 am »

thats when i do my horn training at feeding time . it has almost allways worked  Grin  then sometimes blowing the horn just gives you something to do while waiting on the dogs to come in  Grin also banging the metal feed pans together when feeding the young pups solves all problems with a dog being gun shy when older . and sorry reuben when garmin and the 4 wheelers will make a dog quit runnin and come back from the other side of the river or property line i'll quit using the horn  Wink

halfbreed, just add a little pit to the pot and you won't need to blow the horn...JK Smiley i quit blowing the horn so long ago i almost forgot i even did it until jesse paul mentioned he had his dogs trained for it...now i just track them up and then i get close enough for the dogs so thet can hear me and then i call/holler them out...

My hunting partner has some good hog dogs. About 3/4 mtn cur and 1/4 pit and these dogs won't quit a bad runner that runs in circles in the thick briars...we have to walk in and pull them off the track...
Logged

Training dogs is not about quantity, it's more about timing, the right situations, and proper guidance...After that it's up to the dog...
A hunting dog is born not made...
biseral
Catch Dog
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 149


View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 02:34:51 pm »

never thought of this thanks for the idea...starts tonight
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by EzPortal
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!