October 05, 2026, 11:03:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: catch dogs in the summer time  (Read 9441 times)
Bo Pugh
Alpha Dog
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 913


View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 07:32:27 pm »

we dont put vest on anything, we try to turn 2 bulldogs loose on big hogs, i have toated bulldogs out of the woods from being to hot and dogs still bayed and have to call someone to bring another bulldog. if the hog breaks the bulldog is going to be in a bind either way with a vest or without, i just would rather deal with a cut dog than a over heated one. just my .02
Logged
bob
Boar Slayer
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 1298



View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 09:45:32 pm »

I woudnt turn my bull dogs loose with out a vest ever and I think my dogs are bad a$$ , if it walks and looks like a hog they catch no matter what size but no vest is throwing them out to the wolves , Ive seen people do this personaly and the dog didnt come home , Ive been lucky and have had the same 2 bull dogs  for 6 years   , lots of big bad boys , its like playing russian rulet when is it your time , I run my bulldogs mile sprints they are in shape , maybe if you exercise your dogs more and they wont over heat so fast and you can put a vest on them and kill 2  birds with one stone and have some common sence and dont hunt in the heat
Logged
Reuben
Internet Hog Hunting Specialist
**********
Offline Offline

Posts: 9508


View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 11:06:47 pm »

I woudnt turn my bull dogs loose with out a vest ever and I think my dogs are bad a$$ , if it walks and looks like a hog they catch no matter what size but no vest is throwing them out to the wolves , Ive seen people do this personaly and the dog didnt come home , Ive been lucky and have had the same 2 bull dogs  for 6 years   , lots of big bad boys , its like playing russian rulet when is it your time , I run my bulldogs mile sprints they are in shape , maybe if you exercise your dogs more and they wont over heat so fast and you can put a vest on them and kill 2  birds with one stone and have some common sence and dont hunt in the heat

I agree with what you said except the heat can't be helped no matter what time of day or night at certain times of the year...but keeping them in shape and lean will go a long ways in keeping the catch dog from over heating so easily...

but I would put money on the dogs that have a vest on everytime that go to the bay on the big boars to outlive the catch dogs don't wear a vest...I am not talking about certain type of catch dogs but all catch dogs in general...if the averages were actually documented I would say that the ones wearing the vest will have a higher chance of living to an old age...

a long time back a friend and I were hunting in an area where the tracking systems didn't work...we had lost his long range walker/ridgeback strike dog...we looked for the dog a good while and we decided to leave out a shirt and pick him up the next day...we took the vest off my pitbull and his pitbull as well...on the way out his dog came out to the road and when we stopped he wanted to go back in the woods...we decided that my friend would go to the bay and for me to turn the dogs loose as he came up on the bay...well I turned in his pit and then my pit and then my airedale, I turned in the slowest dogs first so they would get there at the same time...that was part of the plan... and in about 2 minutes my bulldog was dead and his was about dead...the boar was probably about 375 pounds. When I got there his bulldog was crawling back to the hog and all we had left was the airedale and I siced him on the hog and he grabbed an ear and I could barely get my hands around the back feet on the hog...once I grabbed him my buddy stuck him but after that I will never send my catch dog in without a vest...back then we used the heavy vests the crainers made....for protection these vests were hard to beat but were not very good for the dogs to maneuver in...

we had decided that since he was going to be at the bay that we wouldn't need to vest the dogs...he said that my pit got there first and one hit to the chest and it was over...his dog got hit 7 or 8 times on the chest...no slicing... just stabs...
Logged

Training dogs is not about quantity, it's more about timing, the right situations, and proper guidance...After that it's up to the dog...
A hunting dog is born not made...
bob
Boar Slayer
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 1298



View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2012, 08:17:31 am »

I agree with you rueben on the heat , Ive had my best bulldog [ in shape] go down in the heat after the 4th or 5th hog  back to back  it can happen pretty quick
Logged
jmize
Catch Dog
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 144



View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2012, 08:26:23 am »

I have been called tender hearted before, but I treat my hog dogs as pets. They give their absolute best for me so I feel that I owe it to them to protect them. My find and help dogs are gritty so they all have vest on. We run lighter vest in the summer, but they still have protection on. We try and make sure that a lead in catch dog stays LEAD in and not a RCD. I owe it to the catch dog to protect him. When we turn him loose and hear him hit it is an all out race to get there. I believe that the longer the dogs have to fight the more damage is going to be done. I know alot of you will disagree with me and say that hog dogs are " just another piece of equipment", but I disagree. They are better hunting buddies than any human. There comes a point when you have to take a break and just take a vested catch dog to water.
Logged
drew
Strike Dog
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 314


View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2012, 09:56:37 am »

man i agree with everybody on vest its a no brainer but there are times when they can hurt rather then help
there is one explanation to all of this we all know the risks an hopfuly we will do whats best for are dogs
Logged
jwdeltx
Catch Dog
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 240


View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2012, 10:55:32 pm »

I have a cur that thinks he is a catch dog ? he's half lab and will over heat in a vest. Bought a Ugly Dog boar bib,works good for him . HUNT' UM  UP !!!!
Logged
TX HOG
Alpha Dog
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 723



View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2012, 11:12:10 pm »

my catch dog can wear his all day no problem.
Logged
drew
Strike Dog
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 314


View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2012, 12:37:12 pm »

realy Huh? he must be the super dog
Logged
jon
Alpha Dog
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 944


Lake Texoma Hog Dogs


View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2012, 11:46:54 am »

Do all y'all wear a helmet on while riding your atv's???
Grin
Logged

sshh... ya hear that??? there bayed boys!!!!!
TDHA Member
jon
Alpha Dog
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 944


Lake Texoma Hog Dogs


View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2012, 11:48:58 am »

just thought that was funny
Logged

sshh... ya hear that??? there bayed boys!!!!!
TDHA Member
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by EzPortal
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!