June 16, 2024, 02:19:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One and done  (Read 168 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2024, 12:13:48 pm »

Well, it’s wet! I do mean wet. Deputy Dawg and Cannon wanted to make a round this morning so we did. We decided that we were going to cast this little set of woods on a hill and if we got anything caught we were going to catch the dogs and come home. One was enough because we didn’t want to chance getting out into the bottom land. We cast Moon, Ray, Rooster, and Outlaw. They got gone and were bayed in about 15-20 minutes. When I walked up, they were baying on the edge of the wood line. The hog rushed at Outlaw but quickly decided to get back when the other three closed in fast on his back side. I was going to step out into the open and video but about that time the hog broke straight to me. Moon and Outlaw were having one heck of a race to see who was going to get to him first when they all ran past me at about 5-6 feet. I tell you it’s neat to see how fast they can move through the brush. They had their heads stretched out in front of them staying low and flat with just the slightest movement to go over, under, or around obstacles. He was turned, bayed, and caught within 25-30 yards, about 140 pound boar. I was real proud of Deputy Dawgs pup Rooster. He’s seems to be really starting to figure it out. He’s for sure figured out which end has teeth. He was cut on every hunt for the first 4-6 hunts. He’s baying much better and the hog is usually sitting on his head when you get there.

It made me feel like we are doing something right on the way there. We passed a few sows and shoats out in a pasture and Cannon (1 1/2 yr old) 
got all excited and started hollering HOG HOG HOG, lol. That’s pretty good stuff.

I guess one was enough to wear him out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 12:30:19 pm »

Lol,, fine deal man,,   Ones enogh to wear me out sometimes....  Good to hear about the young dog learning which ends is which.. ,,, I hope my sons young male dont get it no worse than he got it two weeks ago,,, it almost made him cripple but just missed cutting the back tendon thru...

If he dont learn what end is which and which ones cause the pain,, he aint gonna graduate...   lol

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 01:05:02 pm »

That's a good hunt in my book. One more turnout and y'all might have been swimming. Was watching the news and the amount of rain some parts of Tx. got was unreal.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 03:44:19 pm »

Highwater is that the same young male that’s been getting cut a good bit? I sure hope he learns too.

Cajun your exactly right about the swim. I sure didn’t want to chance it any more than we had to.

WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 05:58:55 pm »

Man it's nice to be right there and watch it play out.
williamsld
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 10:37:38 pm »

Sounds like a good hunt!

It’s definitely been wet! we got 13 3/4 inches in less than a week in ETX

if you cant be smart quote smart people

the more i learn about people the more i love my dog - Mark Twain
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2024, 04:18:20 am »

WOW, that’s the best part of any hunt to me. Not only is it good watching, but not getting in a hurry can sure help you see what your dogs are doing as individuals and a team.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2024, 04:21:04 am »

Williamsld, I don’t know what our total is but if we get much more I’m going to have to start running life jackets instead of cut vests.

HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2024, 08:43:26 am »

Highwater is that the same young male that’s been getting cut a good bit? I sure hope he learns too.

Cajun your exactly right about the swim. I sure didn’t want to chance it any more than we had to.

Yeah thats him man,,  Hes got a harder head then my wife...LOL....   Im gonna just blame it on Cajun making dogs that hate hogs way too much....HEHE Grin

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: