April 24, 2024, 08:03:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pyometra  (Read 318 times)
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2023, 08:58:21 am »

Anyone got tips on prevention?

Short of breeding every heat, or spaying...

HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 05:00:00 pm »

We lost a good gyp yrs ago from this.  It was the first time in my 45 yrs that I had heard or seen a gyp die from this.   They told me if u don’t breed a gyp on her cycle. Need to have a round of antibiotics run thru on every heat cycle.  No specific antibiotic but just a broad spectrum. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 06:35:42 pm »

I lost my favorite female to it years ago. She quickly developed a very large bump in her abdomen a while after one of her heat cycles as a 9 year old. Then quit eating and rapidly when down. I thought she musta had cancer or something. Then I read up and all signs pointed to pyo. She had the yellow discharge which meant she had the open type infection.

Was talking to guy guy I gave a daughter of that dogs the other day and he told me she had the same symptoms with the rapid growth of a football size lump in her abdomen. And he had to put her down. She was 9 yes old as well. And had recently had a heat cycle.

Both these dogs were very fertile type dogs that had rather large liters.

I currently have the sister to that female that just got out of a cycle. She milked up and everything like a false pregnancy. But is drying up and seems fine. Eating good, no lump, no discharge.

I wonder if this kind thing can run in a line of dogs and be heritable?
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 11:03:47 am »

That I’m not sure of man.  As I said.  I had never even seen or heard of this problem til 2 yrs ago.   I know that it is prob better to be on safe side and just administer the infection meds after the heat cycle if not bred.    I wish u luck with ur gyp man hope she overcomes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: