March 29, 2024, 03:25:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: English Hounds  (Read 873 times)
Not color blind
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2023, 07:09:19 pm »

Any one used any full blood English coonhound on hogs?
Clint Thacker99
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 01:18:07 pm »

Been using one for 7 years now he’s pretty good my buddy crossed his walker back on a English gyp and majority of the pups turned out hard hunting run to catch type dogs
Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 10:10:27 pm »

I’d like to see some good ones, not very many in my area. I think my dog is half redtick but he looks like a straight walker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clint Thacker99
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 12:50:25 pm »

I’ve had good luck with them majority of the ones I’ve raised and hunted have been natural starters,gritty with plenty of bottom of course I’ve had culls but the majority of the ones I’ve seen and hunted make decent dogs of course gotta keep ‘em away from a coon or it’s all over with
Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 08:53:32 am »

Man I’ve been wanting another full blood hound and I’ve been looking at walkers or a red ticked up dog. I just know I don’t need one. Some look a lot more blood houndy though, which if it does its job idc if it looks like a cat. I’ve always wondered how them high and tight ones with the good feet and build run. something that’s bred for big game
Clint Thacker99
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 10:53:39 am »

I’ve had a couple that would smoke some cur dogs in a race but they was built a lil different longer legs and more lean than most hounds I will say that is one thing I’ve seen out of these dogs once they get up in age 7,8 years old there speed drops a lot my main dog recently slowed way down still has the bottom and heart he’s always had but speed is gone for him I’ve been Thinkin of crossin him back on a cur dog to see what results I would get I’ve always had hounds and cur dogs but never have crossed the two
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 11:26:32 am »

I had an English/black mouth cross a long time ago. As well made a dog as you could ask for. If he was put in the lead dog role he would do it but if there was another dog there that would do it he would let them. He was mad at the world and very hard to tolerate because he was so ill natured. I only kept him around because you couldn’t out work him at a bay. He was red tick colored but tight built and real leggy. I watched him and my old Clyde dog bay a rank boar hog one day, he was probably 235#. They stopped him about 25-30 yards out of a set of woods up around the Palestine area. There was a pine sapling there and he backed up to it. They stayed stationary about 5-6 foot on either side of him. He would charge one of them and the other would ham him and spin with him to keep him off the other dog. We watched this for a good 15 minutes and him knowing we were there watching. He just couldn’t do anything about it.  I’ll never forget that bay. It was 20 years ago at least and I can still see it happening in my mind.

BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 11:41:52 am »

The way they breed coon dogs now, independence and GO should not be issue in any of the coon dog bred dogs at all. I’ve saw 6 month old pups off a leash kick rocks in your face looking for something to tree. The coon dog world has done a pretty good job of getting the traits they want in their dogs as a whole. Hardly any of em will tree with another dog which I could see causing issues sending one to a bay.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 12:25:23 pm »

BA-IV that’s why I went with the Lipper blood years ago. They were being bred for big motors, less track barking, and faster on track and faster in general. That led to cleaning up the build on them as well. They also have to be stay put tree dogs which I equated to staying bayed wether they were alone or could hear another tree or bay going on. The fighters get weeded out as well. You are right, they have done a good job of concentrating their gene pool.

Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 05:51:49 pm »

I agree, a lot of them on the benches look good. Is that a pretty common trait in lipper bred dogs or is there some more you know of?

BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 08:06:39 pm »

BA-IV that’s why I went with the Lipper blood years ago. They were being bred for big motors, less track barking, and faster on track and faster in general. That led to cleaning up the build on them as well. They also have to be stay put tree dogs which I equated to staying bayed wether they were alone or could hear another tree or bay going on. The fighters get weeded out as well. You are right, they have done a good job of concentrating their gene pool.

I have a house bred gyp I been contemplating crossing over my male dog. Lipper was the star but he was produced by Houses Clint, and the house bred dogs still have the old traits so I might consider the cross and cull for performance and body structure. I know a couple local boys that also bred to lipper, once you tree a coon with a lipper bred dog…for one you are DEAF, cuz they have MOUTHS on em, and second you’re spoiled.  If this was on a coon dog site, it would piss off more people than you could count, you either HATE or LOVE LIPPER and Tom Hopkins.
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 08:41:49 pm »

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 08:47:57 pm »

Very nice dog

Slim9797