March 29, 2024, 06:01:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When do you call it quits?  (Read 826 times)
ModisettH
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2023, 08:57:17 pm »

Man I don’t want to hurt your feelings but I’m just gonna say it straight. I’m not one for dogs that are 2 before they decide they want to be hog dogs. This dog sounds like he’s immature and lacking confidence. This dog may be the last Mohican but if you have to make excuses for him then you’ve already lost what you had. If you lower your standards over sentimental reasons you will only have to make more excuse for more dogs in the future. Why feed something that isn’t showing when you have others that want to? Another question I would ask is is this normal for this line, the cur or the Walker side? If it’s the norm then you still
have a dilemma. I just had to cull my last pup out of my old family of catch dogs. He was actually half the old blood and half AB. It was hard because just like your situation he was the end of the line. I just couldn’t make myself accept his faults. I felt like that would’ve been a disrespect to the old family that loved so much. I also had a situation where I bred a very good producing female to double first cousin that was a really good dog. He belonged to someone else but I started him and owned two of his littermates that were really good and produced well too. I would’ve bet my bottom dollar those pups would have been hell on wheels. Surprise….they weren’t! They made hog dogs in the sense that they would find hogs but not on nearly the same level as the dogs they were out of. They weren’t family typical in any way except physical type. They were a year behind in everything they did. That male was bred about 3-4 times and every litter was the same.  So needless to say I don’t have anything that goes back to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No feelings hurt here! Definitely not going back to the line as all the ones i seen never acted anything like this. For sure on the immature part that’s why I figured age would help but was wrong. Only thing that had me puzzled was I’ve seen a lot of running walkers not bay(been through many that done it). Its tough but it is what it is. One thing about it is some make it they all don’t. Just harder to bite the bullet when he was my pick and that’s the last of em. Makes ya wanna pull just a tad bit harder for those of that kind.
 It’s usually the ones that you want to work the most that doesn’t. I will say one thing it is HARD to start pups now days with the hogs we have regardless to what they are out of. He will more then likely be gone by the weekend if it will quit raining. If only he’d bay like he hunts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: