April 24, 2024, 07:59:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When do you call it quits?  (Read 972 times)
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2023, 08:10:59 am »

Tough spot that we all find ourselves in at some point. One of my least favorite aspects of the game. When I’ve been at this point, I ask myself a few questions to help me make my final decision.
-
Is the dog negatively affecting my hunts?

Does this dog give me headaches at home?

Is the dog making a positive contribution to my hunts?

Have I given the dog ample opportunity to earn their place?

Am I wasting resources (woods time, feed, kennel, dog box space, etc) on this dog that are costing another prospect opportunities?

Is there a role for this dog here?
-

Once they are in the “red” on 3 questions, I move on from them. I’m good to my dogs and I don’t ask a lot of them. They get quality feed, shelter, medical care, and are exercised daily. They are not abused in any way.
-
All I ask is for them to hunt with me a couple times a week for a few hours and put out some effort while doing it. I just don’t think that’s too much to ask.
-
To quote Mike Tomlin…..” I’m looking for volunteers, not hostages”. You can only do your part.
-
20 to 30 hunts is a pretty fair shake already. You will know when it’s time to move on. Only you can make that call. You will be “right” whatever you choose to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: