March 29, 2024, 04:26:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When do you call it quits?  (Read 825 times)
ModisettH
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2023, 10:12:35 am »

I’m patient. I’ll give a dog until 2 or so considering they really don’t see their prime until 5 or 6 anyways.

My question would be what does he do when the dogs are baying hard or catch out?  Does he get excited and help, ignore them or run away scared?

Had a late starter that was similar, but I wouldn’t say he acted scared. Walk right into a bay, almost touch noses with the damn thing and just turn around a walk out like cool as can be.  Not long after the flip switched and acted like he’d been doing it his whole life.

I start all mine in the woods. Pretty sure I had one get rolled recently. No visible signs, but considering what was going on was very probable. Set her back for a few hunts and got right back in the saddle. Maybe same has happened to him without you knowing.

Not right or wrong, I see things a little different. I enjoy the challenges and feel like if a dog has the heart and the willingness to work for me I’ll do what I can to bring it out of him. Kind of like coaching I guess.

19 months is still pretty young in my book. Nice looking dog and to me the thing you have going for you is that he hunts. Hard to teach that.
When at a bay he will run in bark a few times and come out. Then repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: