April 20, 2024, 09:19:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When do you call it quits?  (Read 941 times)
ModisettH
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2023, 10:21:59 am »

Tough spot that we all find ourselves in at some point. One of my least favorite aspects of the game. When I’ve been at this point, I ask myself a few questions to help me make my final decision.
-
Is the dog negatively affecting my hunts?

Does this dog give me headaches at home?

Is the dog making a positive contribution to my hunts?

Have I given the dog ample opportunity to earn their place?

Am I wasting resources (woods time, feed, kennel, dog box space, etc) on this dog that are costing another prospect opportunities?

Is there a role for this dog here?
-

Once they are in the “red” on 3 questions, I move on from them. I’m good to my dogs and I don’t ask a lot of them. They get quality feed, shelter, medical care, and are exercised daily. They are not abused in any way.
-
All I ask is for them to hunt with me a couple times a week for a few hours and put out some effort while doing it. I just don’t think that’s too much to ask.
-
To quote Mike Tomlin…..” I’m looking for volunteers, not hostages”. You can only do your part.
-
20 to 30 hunts is a pretty fair shake already. You will know when it’s time to move on. Only you can make that call. You will be “right” whatever you choose to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m a 3 strikes your out kinda person myself. But was pulling for him just a tad bit harder then the others. I kept his sister as well just to have something that goes back to these dogs. He may just end up being a cull but something tells me he’s not that’s why I was so on the fence. The dog hasn’t had an honest chance. Our hogs are hard and so are the places we hunt. Hunting pups with my main dogs hoping they learn from them doesn’t happen much. They tend to blow off and leave em.
  When you feed 30 head it’s hard tho no matter what they are to keep putting time in one due to like you said wasting resources. To be honest this is the only dog I’ve ever hung up on like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: