April 28, 2024, 09:10:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what dg is better for this situation  (Read 831 times)
hogdoggerdude14
Strike Dog

hog doggin is what we do

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2009, 05:42:41 pm »

my friend he alreay has a realy good strke dog  and i was wondering what sould i get a strike dog t get traind by his dog or get a catch dog But my friend usally get his buddies to bring there strike dogs
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 12:56:57 pm by hogdoggerdude14 » Logged

Hv
BigAinaBuilt
Alpha Dog

TDHA Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 05:55:22 pm »

I would say to train your own strike dog off of your friends and worry bout gettin a catch dog later

Competition is not the domination of others, But rather the pursuit of excellence within each of us.
catchrcall
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:08:55 pm »

that would depend on if you want a dog that hunts like his.  What do YOU want out of a dog?  You're trying to please yourself, not your friend.  You can ask him what kind of dog he prefers to hunt with, but in the end it's coming out of your pocket.  with two bay dogs you can bay and shoot, and still hunt.  with one strike dog and one catch dog you may find yourself short handed. 

LONESTAR WORKING DOG ASSOCIATION
www.lswda.org

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggie" until you can find a rock- Will Rogers
stoked
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:09:16 pm »

yeah, a catch dog is always around.

get some good training off your friend, and then your dog will find hogs if he or she has it in the blood.
Etxcntryboy
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 11:32:10 am »

Catch dogs are a dime a dozen.  Concentrate on findin' the pigs first.  After all you gotta find 'em 'fore ya catch 'em!

Git ahead dog!
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 11:50:13 am »

Agreed with the above post get a strike dog, but why choose get both.
a-khunter
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 12:39:26 pm »

get a young dog & run em w/ his strike dog.  catch dog are easy to come by.
de_moon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 11:43:01 pm »

Is your friend going to invite you every time he goes hunting?  Is he going to invite you AND your strike dog candidate?  Is this strike dog candidate going to be trash broke?  Is this strike dog candidate going to get along with all of your friend's dogs?  These are just a few questions to ask yourself.  In my experience, the number of strike/bay dogs that I take or are invited is limited.  Your hunting buddy may not have room for you to bring a pup to train to every hunt?  Your buddy might end up not inviting you to some of his hunts because of this??  I don't know your friend or your relationship with your friend, so these are ONLY ideas to think about.  IF it were me just getting started, I would find a well mannered catch dog.  Most hunters who are in charge of the hunt will never mind an extra catch dog.  You can have a dog that will contribute to the hunt while you learn.  You can move onto a strike dog after you have learned more about the trade, and after you have an idea of what you want your strike dog to be like.  Just a few ideas....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: