March 29, 2024, 05:03:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2/19 and 2/20/23 hunt  (Read 636 times)
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2023, 06:47:59 am »

Had Corey, Jessica and son Wade Dailey down from Idaho. Chris Powel from Houndsman XP with Larry Smith and my bear hunting buddy from Wisconsin down. Due to low tide we only caught 2 Friday. Just couldn’t get around.
  Went Saturday and caught 4. Got some cut up dogs   

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 07:26:57 am »

Man that was some pretty pics ..  Glad yall had a good round with the family..   That pic with the feller with the boots on riding the boat had some pretty scenery to look at.. LOL..

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 07:58:26 am »

Highwater, I like that picture too. Pretty awesome with heads up like that.

Cajun sounds and looks like a real good time with real good dogs and company. I don’t know how else you could much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WayOutWest
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 10:19:40 am »

Looks like good times with good folks. And that picture with the dogs throwing their head back is great.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 10:31:36 am »

Those dogs were striking a hog letting me know there was a hog close by. Problem was the wind was from the west and we did not want to turn loose on that side.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 11:10:05 am »

I figured they were. I could almost hear them lol.

cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 02:37:29 pm »

@2nd pic the guy has the right hat on!! Wink Wink
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 03:16:34 pm »

@2nd pic the guy has the right hat on!! Wink Wink

Yep and he is from Wisconsin.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 08:44:18 pm »

Good hunts Cajun, the dogs look really good, glad yall are getting to hit the marsh.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 07:16:50 pm »

Good hunts good looking hounds

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 12:48:55 pm »

Ive never used a boat, seems pretty cool except i dont think im man enough to hang with the gators lol
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 06:42:23 pm »

Those gators are out with this warm weather. Hoping it stays cool so we can keep hunting the marsh.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 08:17:49 pm »

Cajun how often do you lose out to a gator? We don’t have any in my immediate area thankfully. We had a few when I lived in the Palestine area and I can drive about an hour away and be in gators so I don’t go that direction. I would be in trouble for trying to eradicate them if they got my dog!

I remember a hunt in Palestine where there was a good size gator in this small private lake. We bayed hogs closer to the end where the springs fed it. We caught one and one swam across to the other side about 40-50 yards across. Well the catch dog was right behind the bay dogs so I knew they would be caught as soon as they got to the other bank. Me being me looked and thought, it’s way too far to the dam to get there quick and way too hard to cross around our end so I lit out across the water like the dogs. I looked back and my “buddies” weren’t coming. I said what are y’all doing? Are you coming or what? They said nope and pointed at the gator that was mid ways between them and me just sitting on top of the water facing me. Boy you talk about make your butt pucker!! Didn’t take me long to get on across. I tied the hog by the time they drove around. We left it at the edge of the water and that gator came and got it while we went on to the dogs again. I knew it was there but I forgot about that rascal. I remembered from then on. Didn’t mean to hijack your thread, just wanted to share my gator experience with you. I’m sure you have a ton of them.

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 05:56:52 am »

T dog, I have only lost one dog to a gator and that was about 3 years ago. A gator farmer told me it has to be 80 degrees for them to feed consistently but that doesn't mean they are not active.  One day We were hunting and it warmed up to about 60 degrees and my hat blew off. By the time I turned the boat around and rode back about a 4' gator had swam out to my hat and was just watching it from a foot away. If that hat would have moved I guarantee that gator would have grabbed it. We tend to stick to higher ground during the summer. I h. I like my dogs more then catching a hog so I avoid those areas. I have had friends who have lost dogs to gators but they keep hunting in places where they are really active. Hogs swim so bad and they normally make it across but gators come check out the area where the hog swam and here come the dogs.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 07:47:40 am »

You are sure right. I’m with you about liking my dogs more.

cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 02:31:16 pm »

Mike,

Couple years ago, I lost one to a gator in Feb and it was 40 deg the night before and mid 70's that day and gator got him that evening. Did'nt eat him but stuffed him and i found him 3 days later. I though for sure I was good but was wrong.

You are right about the warm winter and temps coming up. I seen a big sow gator last weekend (8'-9') That already had hatchlings, I usually don't see them till may-june around here. It is warm and they are looking for food for sure.

I swam a canal on the backside of lake Okeechobee to a dog caught on a sow and had 3 gators to my left and 3 to my right swimming as fast as they could to beat me to that hog and dog. I beat them across  pulled the hog and dog up the bank and they sat and watched me from about 10' waiting for one to get back in.

I know for sure you to tie a sorry dog in the middle of a gator infested swamp and he will die of old age.....but a good dog sticks a toe in the water and the gators are hunting it. I swear they can taste the difference!

Nice hunts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: