April 18, 2024, 12:43:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running Hounds  (Read 660 times)
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2023, 08:06:56 pm »

Anybody have any experience or connections with some really good running hounds? What’s the blood to have nowadays in the fox pens? What’s fast and got the brains to not overrun every track?
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 06:41:01 am »

I would suggest getting dogs from people who hunt on the outside, either coyotes or deer and try to get some pups off their trail dogs.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Birdslayer86
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 04:19:09 pm »

Start doing some research on the lines winning in the pens. The southeastern US is stacked. The Carolina’s more so than any other state. I always liked the “east coast” and “Hellums” bred hounds. Good track running hounds that burn up the deer woods. Don’t look at dogs in the speed and drive look at hounds dominating the 3 days. Fox hounds guys play the numbers like the greyhound guys. They breed plenty of pups. There’s a forum just for running hounds. They don’t post much in the forum but the classifieds stay full
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 05:15:35 pm »

You might want to look around on Vargys Running Hound Site. I would paste the link here for you but my phone sends me to tapatalk & I can figure out how to copy it from there.
-
I’ve read & researched the Liquor Bred Line. Never been in the woods with them. Below is a solid description of what I would consider nice, game catching woods hounds. Dave Pelzer is the author of the article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 05:18:20 pm »

You might want to reach out to Lionandboarhunter on this board as well. I’ve heard nothing but good about his running hounds & hound/cur crosses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: