April 28, 2024, 04:13:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2/2-3/24 Tullos Hunt  (Read 444 times)
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2024, 06:48:04 pm »

Made a hunt up in Tullos at Larry Smith’s lease with Charley Gaines, Mike the Knife and some of the club members. Saturday we got the Daddy, Momma, Aunt, and the 3 little pigs.
  Sunday we caught a 200# boar and called it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 08:16:20 pm »

Sounds like a good weekend Cajun looks like yall were slipping and sliding and playing in the mud.Couple good hogs.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 08:40:01 pm »

Nice hunts. I’m assuming that bulldog is the one you raised? What caliber of dog has he made for you?

HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 07:38:27 am »

Fine run man,, good hogs too...  Glad yalls trip was worth it..

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 07:50:15 am »

You guys have been slayin em. Good job. I think the hogs would rather deal with the gators than yalls dogs @ this point.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 07:58:52 am »

T dog That bulldog in the picture is a littermate to the one I raised, off of that blond gyp I had. Everyone who has one loved them. Only one was a cull out of 7 I think. The one I had and the one in the pic. are big 75-80# ear dogs that have the bite.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 09:12:54 am »

You said had? Do you not have the gyp and your pup anymore? I would’ve loved to have had that female. She was a real nice dog and looks like she produced well too.

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 01:46:13 pm »

got to love a rank boar in steep creek banks and mud, always makes me keep an honest view of my cd.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 06:34:47 pm »

You said had? Do you not have the gyp and your pup anymore? I would’ve loved to have had that female. She was a real nice dog and looks like she produced well too.

Long story T dog but here goes. lol The blond gyp I ended up selling because I didnt need three bulldogs. I had a chocolate male named Dagger. We bred my yellow male (Rhino) who was out of the Blonde female to a female out of my breeding, related to Dagger and I gave my daughter the pick male out of the litter. She raised him in the house for a year and had to move so she could not keep him. I got him and we tried him in the pen and he caught perfect just like he had been doing it all his life. He is a big leggy blue brindle dog that is put together so good, he does not look as big as he actually is unless you are standing next to him. He weighs 85#. That is exactly how I got his great grandmother about 12 years ago. My daughter was moving and could not keep her(Bonny). She was raised in the house for 2 years. My daughter was not hardly out of the driveway and I told my Grandson Ethan, lets try her in the pen. She caught that hog so fast I was kinda of surprised but shouldnt have been. I told Ethan, your Mom is not getting Bonnie back and I used her for about 6 years until she broke her teeth and gave her back to my daughter. Bonnie is the mother to Dagger. Anyway. I still didnt need three bulldogs and I could not sell my daughters dog, so I sold Rhino and he is a pretty nice catchdog. Dagger and Gator should last me the rest of my hog hunting career.

Gator

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 06:40:12 pm »

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 04:49:53 am »

He is a very pretty dog. Maybe I should ask your daughter to be on the look out for a “good” bulldog for me. The good ones are like trying to find hen’s teeth.

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 06:02:51 am »

I have always picked one out of a litter for her to raise because it seems like I will get it back down the road. Also like in Bonny's case she will take them back when they get old. If she dosent have room they will live out there life here. Years ago it was easy to find a good bulldog but the last 20 years or so we have had to raise our own. We prefer the bigger bulldogs because out in the marsh there are no trees to get behind so we want dogs that will anchor them.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 09:14:25 am »

Cajun, I completely understand that! I’ve always preferred bigger catch dogs too. I know your plotts are much the same as most dogs in the sense that once a hog is engaged, they are gonna help. I have had dogs seriously injured and crippled by hogs that were caught because the dog caught didn’t have enough back side to have leverage. I don’t want an oompha loompha, and I want leg under them. I’ve heard the argument about big dogs not getting through the briars. If he has a brain it isn’t an issue. At 80ish pounds he still isn’t as big as the hog that went into those same briars ahead of him. I’ve heard the, well if you gotta pack him out because he’s hurt it’s way harder with a big dog. I’ve packed several out and ONE out of all of them was a big dog. The smaller dogs get slung and beat up way worse in my opinion. They also have a shorter in their prime career because they are lite weights trying to fight super heavy weights. Crawling in on my belly to deal with a hog that can’t be controlled isn’t the ideal situation either. I know there are many little or smaller ones that get it done regularly but they aren’t for me. If the person feeding them is happy then so am I. I don’t mean to hijack this thread, just expressing my thought process.

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2024, 03:18:37 pm »

We had to pack Gator out during our wounded warrior hunt. He caught a good boar and Showtime and my pup Chief relayed off and bayed 75 yards away. My buddies took Gator walked halfway and turned him loose. Hog cut him underneath the arm hole in the Vest and hit a bleeder but he hung a stud of a boar. I don’t know if catching two boars back to back in about 5 minutes in their bed or the loss of blood but he was going into shock. Once Jameson got him away from the boar and calmed him down we put a jacket over him he started to come out of it. Those Vets threaded their jackets thru two poles and packed him out pretty easy.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2024, 07:35:51 pm »

He's built really well Cajun.That field gourney technique is pretty dang slick.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2024, 08:17:36 pm »

Good hunt bulldog is built good for sure yall need run few them hogs on little farther north where we have a few for seed up here

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2024, 02:02:57 pm »

Good hunt bulldog is built good for sure yall need run few them hogs on little farther north where we have a few for seed up here

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
That club we hunt on up there want the hogs killed. They do allow us to barr the boars. Only reason we killed that one was he was in a bad place to try to get him out alive. It was us three of us down there while we has a few deerhunters who were up on the bluff cheering us on. lol

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: