March 29, 2024, 08:57:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dog Identification-Brands  (Read 65767 times)
)(Cmoore)(
Catch Dog

TX Double Bar M

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2012, 12:40:26 am »

Double Bar M. 
1270 loose cow road
Altair Tx

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
Van Dorn
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2013, 12:45:11 pm »

Erik Van Dorn
Huntsville, TX
936-661-7958
bornhogwild@msn.com

We clipped the hair with some horse clippers and then held my brass brand on the dog for 8 seconds. We used liquid nitrogen. The grown dogs turned out white as you see, did the same on a 4 month old pup and it burned her skin and turned out black, last picture.

Boogie

Jett

Jodi

jcrosscatahoulas
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2013, 01:32:04 am »

I got my original irons from L & H - great quality irons, but a little pricey.

I ordered a custom iron (J with a cross staggered above it is my brand) from Branding Irons RC in TX
https://www.facebook.com/BRANDING.IRONS.RC?fref=ts

$90 shipping and all and had it in a WEEK!

Buckdog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2013, 06:41:06 am »

l & h brand. dry ice and acetone. not many branded in south central ok.
BARMBARKENNELS
Catch Dog

GET AHEAD!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2013, 07:38:39 am »

Wes Baker at Pittsburg Foundry did mine. $80 for the size shown plus $12.50 S&H.

-M-
Marc McKelvey
Fort Worth, TX
325-665-9499
"If your not first the view never changes!"
curdogs3006
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2013, 03:25:11 am »

What's the size on that brand??

GOIN AFTER THE BIG ONE "COME ON"
Aussie Dogger
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2019, 12:42:07 am »

G'day Folks,
Could someone tell me the reason it is preferred that a brand iron is made of Brass ??
Also has anyone made and used medical grade stainless steel as a brand iron and is it acceptable or advisable.
Thanks for any help or advise.

Cheers
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2019, 08:51:50 am »

The brass retains temperature better. It doesn't warm up as fast as the stainless once applied to the animal. Copper or copper alloys are supposed to be the best about temperature retention but brass is probably the most common because of cost. The stainless works but is a lot harder to get consistent results with, especially on larger animals like cattle and horses where it has to be held on longer. The up side to stainless is you can use it for freeze branding or as a hot iron. I have never used stainless but have never talked to anyone that had real good results with them. The branding iron companies will tell you the same or they did when I was deciding. Hope that's what you were needing.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Aussie Dogger
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2019, 06:02:16 am »

The brass retains temperature better. It doesn't warm up as fast as the stainless once applied to the animal. Copper or copper alloys are supposed to be the best about temperature retention but brass is probably the most common because of cost. The stainless works but is a lot harder to get consistent results with, especially on larger animals like cattle and horses where it has to be held on longer. The up side to stainless is you can use it for freeze branding or as a hot iron. I have never used stainless but have never talked to anyone that had real good results with them. The branding iron companies will tell you the same or they did when I was deciding. Hope that's what you were needing.

Appreciate your reply t-dog.
My son knows of a fella that makes his own branding irons with medical grade stainless but use's them on stock only. We were thinking of maybe using them to mark our dogs with. We may have to contact a branding iron company.
Thanks again t-dog.

Cheers
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2019, 08:32:37 am »

You're welcome bud! I had mine made and it was less than $100. I figured it was worth that to keep the thieves somewhat honest and it will last you forever.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: