April 28, 2024, 07:54:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hogs breaking need input  (Read 1450 times)
PEEWEE
Strike Dog

if you got hogs I can catchum

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2009, 10:02:35 pm »

well its like this  in the last dozen or so hunts I've bin on my dogs cant seem to hold a hog long enough to get catch dogs to them  so you get the full picture  2 to 3 older experienced dogs 1 or 2 young dogs on the ground and we can hear all the dogs baying then nothing then anywhere from 50 to 300 yds later they bay again then nothing over and over now my question is are a few of the dogs tring to catch or put to much presure on the hog or not enough presure to make him stay put   now i know there are runners out there but good grief 12 or more in three diferent places 
W-tate
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:07:59 pm »

I would try a running catch dog

Well, the devil made me do it the first time The second time I done it on my own
Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man And help me leave that black rose alone
got2catchem
Alpha Dog

Spare me the BS. Show me the hog.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:12:09 pm »

If you caught plenty of hogs with the 3 experienced dogs before you started the young dogs, I would try using only one of the younger dogs at a time. See if a pattern develops and your catching hogs with one and not the other. JMO

Richard E.
de_moon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 10:31:21 pm »

In my minimal experience, too much pressure will make a hog run moreso than not enough pressure.  If a cur dog is going to put too much pressure on a hog that is bayed, he might as well catch it.  Most cur dogs are not capable of staying caught on a big hog alone.  This is where a RCD comes in handy if you like to hunt that way.  I prefer a solid bay and a lead in catch dog.  If you have caught a lot of hogs in the past with your three experienced dogs, I bet one of your pups is putting too much pressure on a bayed hog.  Its a long process figuring out which one it is, but I would think hunting the pups one at a time would be your best bet for figuring that out.
hog tied
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:46:11 pm »

Taking the pups one at a time doesnt mean you will figure it out.Maybe all of them when taken by themselves with the older dogs will be fine, it could be that you cant hunt all of them together at the same time.
PEEWEE
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 11:02:58 pm »

heck i dont know but its driving me crazy      it might be the young dogs becuse i have caught plenty of hogs with the older dogs      thanks for the input
Cristina
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 11:26:06 pm »

We've been having the same problem....too many dogs and these hogs are getting too much pressure and not stickin around they're just breaking out before our RCD can get to them. We have rough dogs and we hunt in lots of palmetto, palmetto makes a lot of noise when you have a bunch of dogs running crazy trying to find the hog so they just break. Anyway pewee I've been having the same problem for the last few weeks so I know how you feel Smiley were going to run two older dogs and one young dog next time so ill let you know how that turns out Wink

Anything can be a weapon if your holding it right.
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 06:30:58 am »

Last year I hunted alot with several buddies and we all brought our dogs. We would have 5 0r 6 dogs on the ground. We lost most of the hogs we got on. This year I hunted by myself alot and caught a higher percentage of hogs. I also started using some BIG rcd's. I think the dogs get cocky and over excited when there is a pack looking at the hog. If one starts nipping the hog others may join in and the hogs decides to find a better place. If they are gonna nip, they ought just go ahead an catch. I did hunt with my buddies this year some and we caught 9 out of 10 hogs we got on but my buddies strike dog will bite the butt of a running hog and I had my big running catch dogs who stopped the hogs from running once they stopped. Hope this helps. This is what I have learned the last several years.
southsidehunter
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 06:51:07 am »

Its happening to me to, I really do think if your gonna have rough dogs they might as well fight the hog insteead of nipping at it. We have tried 1 dog up to four dogs, same results. They just run, but when I would take my 3 I had better results I have some rough dogs so that might be the difference. I think there is a difference between gritty and real rough, I could be wrong. I have some buddies say they have gritty dogs and the hogs break. I think my dogs try really hard to catch when they try to break and back off and bay when they stop. I don't think the nipping on the butt stops them trying to latch on the ear or huevos stops them, just my my experience. Cool
Florida Curdog
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 07:28:43 am »

The hogs around here are the same way. That's why we  put some rednose in our curs they just catch most hogs they get on. If it's just one or two dogs and they stop a big rank boar sometimes they will bay it until you get there and catch it when you tell them. We stopped using strait baydogs years ago because of this very reason.  Then you have those running hogs that don't stop no matter what you have on them. Everybody has different styles they like this is what works for us around here. Good luck.

Smiling like a killer
Eric
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 09:39:55 am »

Make sure you are not driving too close to the bay or making alot of noise. Especially if you hunt off atvs or lead in.

Check you strike dogs you may have one or two that are "trying" the hog and pushing it.

"Capitalsim, God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor." http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=HAQ4yNgXelk
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 12:18:59 pm »

If your old dogs were keeping hogs bayed one or all of the new additions are putting to much pressure on them busting the bay, they normally eventually figure out to wait on the catch dog but it sucks waiting until they do. You can try only running one pup at a time to isolate the problem (bay buster) or get a whole pack of gritty ones.
stoked
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 08:46:16 pm »

sounds like you need reinforcements!!

where you located, i'll come help!! Grin Grin
Tusk Hog
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 04:21:21 pm »

Pewee,
             Sounds like what happened to me a couple of years back. I had been hunting this ranch( 1400 acreas) for several years with no problems. Find the hogs, bayem, and catchem, simple. Then just like you have described, every bay broke. I was getting real fustrated with my dogs. Then a neighbor mentioned something in a conversion. His neighbor on the other side of him had let another hunter on his place. Seems like this hunters dogs couldn't get the job done, but sure could train a group of hogs. These other hunters weren't allowed to hunt long and moved on. Took about a year of catching the trained (spoiled) hogs in the ideal places to get them out, but we did. The ranch went back to normal. This may not be what is happening to you, but it is something to thing about? The other side to this: everyone has to start somewhere. One reason I have found to help thoses wanting to start, sometimes it's even to my benefit.
PEEWEE
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 09:59:48 pm »

well boys and gals thanks for the input   we went huntin during the day think i got it figured out  went to all three spots 3 different times and all three hunts we were hitting packs of hogs hogs going in all directoins  no 2 dogs would stay on the same hog but i did find the bay busters 2 of my young dogs trying to just go in and catch but dont have the experince yet to stay at it  and yippeee we caught one boar hog about 6lbs LOL   it was funny yall should've seen 6 dogs trying to catch this little sucker in tall coastal  i wish i would've had my video camra
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: