April 19, 2024, 07:11:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frozen ground?  (Read 1042 times)
JandAoutdoors
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:45:46 pm »

Since deer season has ended i just started hunting this new place and since we have all this rain the past couple of months water is every where and its mostly frozen over and even the ground that isnt wet is still mostly ice...i guess my question is..does anyone think/know whether or not the dogs can pick up a good scent on frozen ground i dont  see how they can pick up a good scent on ice but idk...i live in Mid South Carolina and this has been the most consistent cold weather we have had all my life we usually have a couple of 15-30 degree days and then most of the winter we are in the 40-60 degree weather so usually the ground doesnt stay froze...i never really had to worry bout this but idk...any input from pple who have to deal with this on a regular basis would be appreciated...thanks
lonewolf
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:12:04 pm »

I think the dogs smell a hog better on frozen ground than on hot dry ground!

Fear is only a word in the mind of the weak!
hogdoggerdude14
Strike Dog

hog doggin is what we do

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:31:05 pm »

I agree
I have never hunted in the ice or snow but I have a therey thata sent of a hog is absorbed in the ground when it's how but whne it's ice the sent stays on the surface

Hv
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:58:38 pm »

dogs can wind really well in the snow and ice, not much other sent to work around

razorbackwelder
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 08:32:32 pm »

Global warming and we are seeing record lows that we havent seen in twenty years... Someone explain the Ice Age theory again... Hahaha I know that its cold outside but i like my mosquito's frozen... as far as the dogs smelling on ice and frozen ground. I would say that most items that have been in contact with the hog would have a latent content of scent however it could become more difficult on ice.

Huntin the Grunt Til the Squeal is Real...Here Piggy, Piggy, Piggy.
craig
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 09:33:27 pm »

my dogs have never had a problem smelling hogs on ice or snow,  i had one of my dogs go over a mile with a hog track on 4" of ice and snow.
 i have had my dogs wind hogs on solid ground covered with ice and snow.

the only problem you will have on frozen ground is keeping your dogs feet together, it is really hard on their pads.

www.craigloftintrailersales.com
Craig Loftin
918-857-0464
Tahlequah,Oklahoma
JandAoutdoors
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 09:58:31 pm »

I appreciate the input guys, i just didnt know if they could or not ill be goin in the morning so hopefully i can get on something..thanks again and good luck with the hogs
keyserdawg
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 11:03:33 pm »

Where you at man?  I am heading to SC to do some hunting in 2 weeks.  I think ice is better for smell then dry.  Only thing the ice can be tough on feet.  Snow i think helps the scent.
Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: