April 28, 2024, 10:18:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: WHAT WOULD YOU CONSIDER TO BE THE PERECT BLADE LENGTH FOR A STCIKER?
4" AND BELOW - 2 (4.1%)
5-6"" - 3 (6.1%)
6-7" - 16 (32.7%)
7-8" - 16 (32.7%)
8" AND ABOVE - 12 (24.5%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STICKING KNIFE LENGTH  (Read 13758 times)
Cutter
Catch Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 09:10:44 pm »

Black Jack Daggers razor sharp my six year old can push it in with one hand, 6 1/2 inch blade.

setexasplott
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2009, 10:12:54 am »

harbor freight sales a survival knife that works perfect for me .the blade is 8.5 inches its stainless steel with an aluminum handle and only cost 8.99 which means i can afford to loose it and not feel sick at my stomach.

i know i should be hurtin but im smilin ear to ear
TDHA Member
WWT Official scorer
ethunter89
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2009, 02:12:23 pm »

I saw an add in a magazine the other day for a boar spear?? It was around 6ft long.. anyone ever heard of/used one?
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2009, 02:21:12 pm »

I have one.

Cristina
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 02:40:43 pm »

I have a 4 1/2 inch blade, my dad uses a bayonet he's been using one ever since I can remember he lost his first one in the Sam national forest and my brother got him another one for his birthday a few years back, one of my brothers has a really nice winchester blade it looks 10 inches and we have buck knives everywhere! They get lost and you can find at least two in the truck lol as far as where to stick we do it a little bit above the armpit area.

Anything can be a weapon if your holding it right.
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2009, 08:51:41 pm »

I want a boar spear for shear coolness but is it cumbersome? it would probably be dangerous in my fat hands, also is a hog still standing and fighting you when you bury the blade?

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2009, 09:55:24 pm »

Yes its cumbersum, I carry mine on the truck and use it for sticking hogs that are caught in windmill overflows or other deep mud holes where I can't get in close. I would not let anyone but me use one around my dogs.

Russ
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 10:11:43 am »

Paul all we need to do now is find you a mcclellan saddle for your mule and recrease your hat and you'd really fit the part  Wink  .  That's the first I've ever seen the bayonet in use and was very impressed how effective it is and quickly it finished the job.

I got a WWII Jap bayonet but b/c of what it is and how it was obtained (Grandfather brought it back) I could never use it for a sticker, though it would do the job nicely if ask to! I think the blade alone is 13-15". But bayonets are made for one thing and one thing only, make a hole that bleeds like crazy and not clot or be sewn up easy.

I got a 10" sticker a buddy made, it's great for bigger hogs or inexperianced hunters.

uva uvam videndo varia fit
Like having my own little fuzzy convict, he steals, is violent and from what I saw him doing to his teddy bear obviously sexually frustrated.
muleman
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 10:23:42 am »

Dont know if anyone mentioned it yet but Cheaperthandirt.com sells a rough use knife that is freakin indestructable for about 10 bucks. you can watch them testing it on youtube.

LOPIN MY MULE AND SCRATCHIN MY ASS!!!
Cutter Bay Kennels
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2009, 03:20:39 pm »

Whatever works.... Just make sure it's sharp.  Biggest binds I have seen are people having to fight to get the knife in. Length does not help on a dull knife. A sharp knife, you just cut a gash, and slide in deeper.

When I've had to kill them because we could not just release them, a good sharp knife of almost any size works.  I have to admit, I've killed several with the disposable snap off blade razor knives that you get at the local hardware store.  They weigh nothing, and they are easy enough to keep sharpened.  Just install a new blade.  A verticle slice by the lung and he's down for the count.  I hate a regular fixed blade handle sticking me in the side while I'm moving through the thick brush.  It gets old quick.  Plus, I'm always feeling to make sure a good knive has not fallen out of the sheath.  I've got a truck door pocket full of hog stickers, but most have more dust than blood on them. 

"To me it is not always about the game you caught, but the memories you can't let go of.   Wink  " Josh Farnsworth
Bino9905
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2009, 10:48:27 pm »

I have the buck 119 used it on my first hunt and felt like I was cutting butter.
I thought I got a deal online, until I saw them at walmart for only 33 bucks!!
Im paid 40 something plus shipping  Angry
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: