March 29, 2024, 04:35:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RCD's, stag, greyhound, dane, wolfhound, deerhound,dogo ???  (Read 8738 times)
dabutcher
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2009, 09:45:46 pm »

I turned a hog out for him today. He did real good. He can really run and is hitting the hog and spinning him and looking for the ear. Still just a puppy but it looks like he is going to make a hog dog.

awesome, i'm sure Josh will be glad to hear it.
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2013, 09:57:48 pm »

Was wondering if anyone was still breeding these type of dogs
Doggie
Strike Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2013, 10:05:58 pm »

I know that Beetle is going to be bred to a Dogo bitch later this year.

If you aint willing to stay on the ground and fight with your dogs, get the He!! out of the woods city boy stay in the stand and shoot em.
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2013, 08:18:43 am »

Why I am asking is I just got 2 stag/pit pups and have spoke for a half deer hound to add a little speed to my pack. I was just wondering if any of the guys that made this post were still doing it besides josh and silverton
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2013, 09:07:42 am »

I had 2 Dogo's that were junk. Got rid of them. Had a stag/dogo/AB that came from Texas. Junk also. Im working with Dane crosses now.
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2013, 09:35:01 am »

I have one Stag and three Stag X Pit/Dane pups (6months old)
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2013, 10:11:25 am »

Yeah I am going to see on the stags but have high hopes on the deer hound pup.   I have not had good luck with dogo crosses either. Decent luck with my ridgeback/pits just not quite the speed I was looking for catch good listen just not quite fast enough so this is the reason im looking at these type of dogs.
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2013, 10:32:16 am »

The leaner Dane crosses are fairly fast. Obviously not as agile though.
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2013, 10:52:03 am »

The problem people run in to with these type of dogs is they want them to catch like a bulldog , they are not bulldogs , yes they catch an will hold any size hog but they are not bulldogs an you have to know how they work ,

I have a stag that will catch any hog I want him to by himself you just have to know how these type of dogs work , I also have a grey hound gyp that will catch an 2 pups out of them

I have had a few stags I culled there junk in any breed , you got to remember they were bred mostly for coyotes so if you get a good coyote head dog an easy him into hogs they should work good

They also don't usually catch an try to hold the hog like a pit or American bulldog does so that might be where people get confused on how they are working

dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2013, 11:31:56 am »

Dabutcher, I have spoken with him also about his dogs. I hope he breeds his dane/pit over that hairy dog.

Noah, I know it would be a drive for you but you can try breeding that greyhound to my dae/pit. I live in Macon, Georgia. Would make some sho nuff rough RCD's.

Dang I didn't know you live in Macon, my grandma has a got a house there, and I also have a bunch of family there. I go there a few times a year.
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2013, 11:57:37 am »

Depending on where ur here I might be able to take ya huntin as long as u don't tell everyone how sorry my dogs are.
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2013, 01:03:00 pm »

Have two Stags here, 7mths old, from Swamphunter. They'll be out in the field when they're mature enough. The bitch already bays at a hog, lol.
What I am really looking forward to is putting my English Bull Terrier male over my Stag bitch, and putting my Stag male over a very good retired Catahoula bitch here, and running those pups in the future.
My bitch cut herself trying to jump out of her former pen, right on the bend of her leg. Skin tore like paper. (Total Greyhound trait...paper skin.) Finally just healed back up.  That's the only bad thing I could say. These dogs are just amazing so far....they show a lot of promise as they mature.
Like Swamphunter mentioned, while they will catch/hold, gotta remember they can't be treated like bulldogs.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Big Joe
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2013, 01:40:17 pm »

I got 2 gh/pit females im workin on
wine6978
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2013, 01:59:31 pm »

The problem people run in to with these type of dogs is they want them to catch like a bulldog , they are not bulldogs , yes they catch an will hold any size hog but they are not bulldogs an you have to know how they work ,

I have a stag that will catch any hog I want him to by himself you just have to know how these type of dogs work , I also have a grey hound gyp that will catch an 2 pups out of them

I have had a few stags I culled there junk in any breed , you got to remember they were bred mostly for coyotes so if you get a good coyote head dog an easy him into hogs they should work good

They also don't usually catch an try to hold the hog like a pit or American bulldog does so that might be where people get confused on how they are working

Swamphunter can you please elaborate what you mean by this quote? I am looking for a good alternative to using pits/bulldogs and was thinking a couple stags may work, but I want to me 100% confident in the dog and their ability to catch and hold a hog. WHat do you mean by how they work? How do they catch differently from bulldogs?
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2013, 07:41:08 pm »

They think about catching an how they are gonna do it not just run full blast like a tank ,
I have full faith in mine an have caught big hogs with him , you just can't start them like bulldogs an you have to learn the dog , they are very smart , people either love them or don't like them at all ,

It is also hard to find a good one
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2013, 11:29:44 pm »

I will agree to an extent Swamp... I don't think they are that smart... Yes they do use their head when catching but as far as straight intelligence I place them way lower on the scale than most dogs. Like I said yes, they are very smart and calculating when it comes to catching. You wont see them getting their butts handed to them by a big boar hog like you would see on a smaller bulldog. Mainly because of their size, they dont loose their footing like a smaller dog would. The only time mine has been hit is on the initial grab after that he is usually in control of what happens. As far as the naysayers who think a small bulldog is better in the thick stuff... my rebuttal is this.. Have you seen a whitetail get hung up in the thick stuff?? Grin  I used my Stag as my only catch dog for the majority of 2012 in some really thick stuff and I would run in behind him as a solo catch dog any day.

Jared,
Your close to my neck of the woods now. We will have to get together and make a run and let Splinter show you how its done.. LOL

On that note.. If a couple of my pups turn out like their dad I will not have a bulldog on my yard
TColt
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2013, 11:24:12 am »

Me and a buddy will be breeding my deuce dog to a 1/8 hot blood 7/8 cold blood greyhound. She is a head dog on yotes and is working good on pigs running with the cur dogs. Handling the briars and stuff real well.

This cross will be used pretty much strictly for open country hunting.

Taylor Colt Christian- TDHA member
http://tdha.org/

Support our sport!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: