March 28, 2024, 04:51:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catching Cattle, Colman, Texas 1/10  (Read 8463 times)
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2010, 09:59:37 pm »

Wes and I went to Coleman this week to ship some cattle. Got to catch some wild stuff, Wes has some more good pics. All went real well except Wes's good little Molley dog got killed the first day. RIP Molley.

jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:25:57 pm »

looks like fun tell me how you tied him down in the 2nd pic . we always pull 1 front to 1 back . did you just go once around both feet and a square knot ? or a figure 8 ? good pics !

thanks john
aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

Circle C Australian Shepherds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:43:29 pm »

Awesome pics paul! How did the dog get killed, a kick? Had those older cattle ever been gathered? Looks like you had cold weather too. How long were you gathering at that place?

Cheers
M

At least I'm successful at doing nothing right. I guess it could be worse.
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:15:23 pm »

We were in there 4 days. We roped quite a bit of stuff that had never been penned. We don't know for sure what happened to Molley. We bayed and roped a yearling bull and he was stomping dogs right and left and then we jumped, run and caught the bull in the first pic, she was there (brown and tan dog sitting to my left in the second pic). She didn't come in with us and Wes went back out at dark and found her alive at a windmill where we caught the first bull, she was gone the next morning, didn't appear to be hurt that night.

John, I tie all grow stock that way, cross the legs, three wraps and a square knot on top. Its very fast, one man can tie a grown bull, they can stay tied like that for a long time, they can breath real well, and don't fight and strain as bad. I would suggest it for anyone tying down grown stock, especially in the heat.

matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:31:07 am »

Great pics Paul and sorry to hear about the dog.  I assume yall are using a winch to drag those bulls in the trailer....who gets to be the lucky guy to take the chain off from around their neck once they are loaded? Grin  You ever had a cow try to jump out of the uncovered part of that trailer?

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"~Woodrow F. Call

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 07:57:08 am »

yes 12k winch matt, its the only way to go when you are loading cattle of any size, really saves the horses. I am the one who puts the chain on and most of the time I take it off, lots of times the cattle will go down to there bellies as there back legs are being pulled in and if you are quick you can jump right on there back, un hook that chain and then stand up on there back and jump out. Never had any cattle jump out of that trailer, they try all the time but never get all the way out.

matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 08:01:52 am »

Haha sounds like a good photo opportunity to me.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"~Woodrow F. Call

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
lightningh
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:34:31 am »

Cool deal paul! Thats my kinda stuff right there! Did you take any of the pups along?

Lightning H Cattle Co.
2008 National Champion 4-up Mules

"Aint misbehavin' just ass'n around"
bghogdogtx
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 10:05:41 am »

Man thats some real cowboy stuff there.  Great pics.

THEY BAYED!!!!
TDHA Member
craig
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 10:55:44 am »

i woundered where you been Paul, though you might have froze up.  Grin

i like the buckskin ,  looks like you got a nice grey horse too. 

mighty fine work....

www.craigloftintrailersales.com
Craig Loftin
918-857-0464
Tahlequah,Oklahoma
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 11:08:55 am »

Thanks Craig, We have been busy fighting this weather, wind chill by tomorrow is going to be 15 below.

I have a race sale to work next week, then a week of gathering and catching more wild cattle.....then the spring works are going to start up in February, looks like we might be on the wagon crew for spring works for Buster Welch, that ought to be fun. Wink

craig
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 11:19:54 am »

that Buster Welch deal would be pretty cool..

i been watching the weather look like you guys been getting it too.

that same front is coming in here tonight , i think its going to hammer all of us.   the weather is forcasting our wind chills from 10 below to 20 below.
  this will be some of the coldest weather we have ever seen.   we are having trouble with water lines freezing already, so the next few days should be interesting for shure..

Craig Loftin
918-857-0464
Tahlequah,Oklahoma
cward
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 08:18:53 pm »

Good Pics!! Looks like yall got it done!!

Craig if the warter line freezes then you can take a bath in the creek!!

Hog hunting can start more crap than anything I have ever seen!(HDLCrystal)
Remember John Wayne was just an actor the real cowboys is who he looked up to..........
craig
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 08:31:23 pm »

Chance,  the creeks around here are froze about 5" to 6" , ill have to take my axe with me so i can cut a hole first  Grin

Craig Loftin
918-857-0464
Tahlequah,Oklahoma
rafterfpuncher
Catch Dog

WWT Official Scorer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 09:51:29 pm »

Lots of fun chasing and catching all those wild cattle, made me feel like I was about 25 years old again.  Hated to lose Molly as she was a pretty good dog on pigs, and probably would have been a good cowdog.  This was her first trip as a cowdog, but she showed some promise.  RIP Molly

IF YOU CAN'T RUN WITH THE BIG HOGS KEEP YOUR DOGS AT THE HOUSE!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: