April 19, 2024, 05:45:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Double Barrel" Trap  (Read 3107 times)
Wmwendler
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:31:47 pm »

My uncle has some hogs coming up around his grain bins and barns eating out of the cattle feeder so I rounded up some of our traps when we made the rounds checking cattle and set one up that is actually two traps in one.....hence double barrel trap.  Its a combination of a box trap with a guillotine door, and a portable pannel trap with a swing gate.  The box trap is 2.5 feet wide x 3 tall X 10ft long.  On top of that I put a 3 foot hog pannel to make that side 6 ft total and finished out with 4 portable pannels that are 5.5 feet tall and 6 long and super heavy.  I put them in the shape of a wedge ending at the swing gate to hopefully make loading somewhat easier.  On the other end it all ties into the box trap so as to make one unit which ads strenght.  Hogs can trip one and the other is still set and if any hogs are still outside the might go in the other one.  I put the trap right next to the cattle feeder which I stopped feeding out of and have been feeding them in the two sections of the trap and they have been cleaning it out every night.  The trap is set tonight and hopefully The hogs will be there in the morning.  What do yall think about that set up.  I would post a picture but I lost my digital camera.  Waylon 
BMichalak
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 05:38:25 pm »

hey man i dont know if you remember me or not but i think u went hunting with us in clay one time down on the yegua... but we ran the old river the other day up from ur uncles place on the killebrews
Wmwendler
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 10:12:40 pm »

Yeah I remember that hunt with Preston Davis.  Yall do any good that other day on killebrews?  I saw the tracks yall left and wondered who it was hunting. 
How is Prestons Harley btch. doing........tell him I'd still like to breed our old Rattler male to her if he is interested in trying again next time she comes in.

Waylon
BMichalak
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 10:16:16 pm »

naw we had a dry run... we only ran that old river for maybe about a mile or so on their place... we didnt see much sign of hogs but a few tracks down in that creek.... harley just had her second litter about two months ago.... she's back in the woods though.. i will tell him about ur dog...have yall been running at all on your uncles place??
Brent
Wmwendler
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:25:54 pm »

Yeah it is hit or miss on that old river right there.....If I see a fresh track on the road I might find them if I hunt hunt the next morning or the hogs will be gone unless they are hanging in the corn.  We have had quite a few dry runs lately but we manage to get a cripple every now and then and keep them out of the corn.

That last litter of harley was the time we tried to breed her to Rattler and they would'nt tie up, but she ended up being bred to his big male dog, which was the same one she was bred to in her first litter I think.

Waylon
BMichalak
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 10:56:16 pm »

yea thats right...bruno is that males name... if u ever need anyone to go hunting with im always ready to go man... i got a pretty decent strike dog now, he is real rough though cuz he got a touch of pit in him...but he will find his own hog... i also got another curr gyp that i recently got bout 4 months ago and she's turning out pretty good...she also has a touch of pit in her... so if you ever wanna go run man let me know... 4212220 is my number
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: