March 29, 2024, 09:19:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What works well for you?  (Read 2035 times)
Sean
Administrator
Boar Slayer

"You get that on video??", "..umm....well...."

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2007, 01:13:41 pm »

Hey everyone. I want to pick your brains for a minute. I'm planning to do quite a bit of baiting around here this year for deer. Corn from the feeders of course, but I'm also wanting to use other stuff to help draw them in. I just wanted to know what everyone else has used or uses that has and hasn't worked well for them. Any thoughts you have, even if it's to warn about a bad product. I want to know everyone's thoughts on everything from Rye Grass to Deer Cane. I have baited some in the past, but my experience with different ones are limited. Thanks.

NThoghunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 04:07:37 pm »

Sean, other than corn I never really baited for deer.  Although I have baited for hogs back in the day, and had some deer come running to some hogwild.

North Texas Hog Hunters
T.D.H.A member
Clay
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 05:40:11 pm »

PEANUT BUTTER Grin take cap of screw to the tree then attatch the plastic jar and cut the bottom out of it....best thing ive ver used beats corn

Texas Dog Hunters Association
Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Association
Coastal Conservation Association
Sean
Administrator
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 05:54:05 pm »

hmmm, have to admit that's the first time i've heard that before.   

Clay
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 06:40:04 pm »

Ya i thought the guy was crazy until the deer licked it clean in two days....and it wasnt one of those little jars either

Texas Dog Hunters Association
Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Association
Coastal Conservation Association
hogdoggintexas
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 04:27:24 pm »

black gold workes just as good 4 deer

texas redneck mafia
hogdoggintexas
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 04:28:58 pm »

black gold

texas redneck mafia
Sean
Administrator
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 04:35:45 pm »

well now that's a trip,lol. i've heard it works well on hogs, first i've heard of someone using it on deer. on the upside i was going out to check the hog trap saturday, and i spooked a nice buck that was right under the feeder! glad to see they are hitting the corn around here already, they usually don't start hitting it here until november or early december. my trigger finger is starting to twitch,lol.

mley1
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 07:59:49 pm »

Think natural. Acorns, honeysuckle, youpon berries, small food plots. I have had more luck hunting natural food sources than most anything. I also have good luck hunting over corn that's just been thrown on the ground. Usually the only deer I actually see go to feeders are does and some young bucks. A buck more than a year and a half old knows what they are and what happens when they get to close to them. The two does my boys shot and my buck were all three a ways from the feeder when they were shot. The only one that actually came to the feeder was Mitchs doe. The buck was over 150yrds away and near a creak. He came trailing a doe that was eating a little corn I threw out as I walked into my stand that afternoon. She also fed on youpon berries while there. With that combo she fed for almost 30 minutes before the buck came to check her out. She never went near the feeder.

God bless and good hunting,

Marty Ley
Santa Fe, TX
NAHC Life Member
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: