April 24, 2024, 04:15:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 20811 times)
dabutcher
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2010, 08:27:29 pm »

nice dogs.  what cross is that Sausage dog?? 

good boar too by the way.  hopefully, the big one will be there again for another day.
HogzgoneWild
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2010, 08:35:25 pm »

Good hogs and great lookin dogs!

"pain is just fear leavin the body"
TDHA member/TLGDA supporter
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Victor Dealer/Promoter
lilmisshogdogger
Boar Slayer

"SHHH.... LISTEN"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2010, 08:36:48 am »

SOUNDED LIKE AN ACTION FILLED NIGHT!

~SAMANTHA FRAZIER~  
"REAL HOG HUNTERS DO IT DOGGIE STYLE"
Ned Makim
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2010, 12:30:32 pm »

There was some action all right but it didn't fill the night. There can be a lot of time and dirt mixed with our pigs.

And on Saus and his breeding. Luke laughed and said 'he's got no breeding". That means he doesn't come from anyone known, just him and a mate and a couple of working dogs they had. The father looked like a dane mastiff and (maybe pit). Top nose though. Mum was a cattle dog (blue heeler) x Eng bully and is a very busy finder. Both parents lug up one out.

Cheers.
Ned Makim
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2010, 03:07:09 am »

Just back from work in the bush. Finished the gardening and was told by the station manager to go and see if I could harass some pigs so I was happy to oblige.
Went and scouted the edge of some sorghum to see if anything was coming into the unripe crop yet and jagged this little sow just after disturbing a decent fallow buck camped in the crop.
Barney found this one. Bobby found a couple of slips but spat them out so I don't count them.
Anyway, another little work pig. And Barney's first for me since he's been back home. Barney was very arrogant with me a week ago but we discussed his issues a couple of times and he's getting nice and focussed. He had another good jump but came up with nothing. Good to watch him on the technology working the rows...

Cheers.
lilmisshogdogger
Boar Slayer

"SHHH.... LISTEN"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2010, 08:25:22 am »

GOOD DEAL  Smiley

~SAMANTHA FRAZIER~  
"REAL HOG HUNTERS DO IT DOGGIE STYLE"
james.frankovich
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2010, 08:37:58 am »

When you describe the dogs as "hard find", how much hunt do they have, what kind of range(distance) do they work?

Cull Hard

TDHA Member
Ned Makim
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2010, 02:39:22 pm »

A hard finder is two things...the hard part means they will stop a boar and are prepared to die on it rather than let it go once you arrive. Some swing for the duration but others will stop the boar, then bail it (bay) and then grab on instruction or on sight or sound of you approaching. The hard bit is about the damage they will take rather than give in once it all gets going.

The finder part means they will wind and ground scent pigs. Often from the back of the vehicle (rigging?) they will jump on floating scent and follow it up. That can be 2kms on a cold night when the scent sticks lower down. Two ks is about 1.25 miles. Most finds are closer but are often 1km. If on foot, the dog might circle you are about 200 metres out and then strike out on a scent or just hit the pig if it's that close.  They are not allowed to just range about hoping to bump into a scent.
If they strike out, it's a pig, just a matter of whether or not they can stop him. Some of the dogs won't grab little ones and some will specifically pick out the boar from the others available.

Again, that's not just our dogs, that's just the standard for handy working dogs here.

Cheers.
james.frankovich
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2010, 03:40:59 pm »

Thanks for the info!  I was wonderin how you kept them from catchin out before you got there ...I know catchy dogs in these parts can get others hurt often if they are catching before we get there...but if you've got that kind of handle on them to hold em at bay until you get there that's pretty cool.. 

Cull Hard

TDHA Member
Ned Makim
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2010, 08:36:25 pm »

It's not really me that has the handle. They start by swinging on the pigs for the whole time but after a few beltings many learn to let go and bail until I am within range. The closer you are in contact with your dogs the more they trust you but you have to be prepared to go forward yourself in difficult situations because if they feel you hesitate it could be a different story. Of course many never learn to bail and just hang on and on and with those dogs its running, climbing, belly crawling through blackberries and african boxthorn, swimming and whatever it takes to get there for them.
Cheers.
Ned Makim
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2010, 05:39:41 am »

G'day everyone,
Sorry about this but this is a courtesy post to let those interested know I'm dropping internet forums. I have a lot on with my business, my family and my dogs. Thanks for the interest. I will reactivate my blog to limit my communication responsibilities to allow time to deal with things here.
So thanks for the interest and responses.
All the best to you and your dogs.
Cheers.
JDJP
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2010, 10:13:04 am »

sorry to see you go ned. How do we find your blog?

Take care.

Dylan
dabutcher
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2010, 10:23:19 am »

here ya go.  I'm sorry to see ya go, Ned.  I always like seeing your dogs and reading your stories.  Are you still going to be on OzzieDoggers or are you giving that up as well??

http://makimdogs.blogspot.com/

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: