April 18, 2024, 08:36:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bayin styles  (Read 1278 times)
2dumbdogs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:57:11 am »

would it be better to have a couple dogs that bay loose then a couple tight and a couple inbetween? or all loose or tight? to me have them all over not runnin into echother would be best but im still wet behind the ears in this stuff
dabutcher
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:00:12 am »

all loose or all rough, imo.  not mixed up.  in the time i've hunted (which ain't as much as most) most of the injuries i've seen or had in a personal dog is from running a loose dog with a couple rough dogs or vice versa.  the loose dog would go in with the rough dogs and not be really committed.  it'd get in there and get a little roughed up and realize it wasn't where it wanted to be and turn to run and get hit by a hog.  just my experience everyone has their own opinions.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:05:08 am by dabutcher » Logged
Brushbuster
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 10:03:29 am »

I agree, find what style of dog you prefer & try to get them all the same.  I run all rough dogs, I feel ad though it keeps me from some really long races. Decide what you prefer and try to get a pack that all works the same. Leads to runners if you run one rough with a pack of loose bayers, and leads to cuts if you run a loose dog with a rough pack. Just my .02 cents.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!!
Wmwendler
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 12:18:00 pm »

It depends....I have two dogs in my yard right now that run great together.  One is a very hard dog, gets cut allot and will get most hogs bayed just might have to pay the price, but has finesse.  One is a loose baying gyp who's not hard at all and finds allot of hogs but sometimes needs a hard dog with her to stop some hogs or else the hog will eventually stop and she will be there but it might be two miles away.  I prefer it 200 yards away.  Both dogs run a fast track and work good together and with just her the male does'nt get cut as much but put him with other hard dogs they are gonna swap a little hide.

Waylon
Donnie
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 05:55:47 pm »

one rough bay dog should do the trick    put more confedence in the dogs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: