March 28, 2024, 12:56:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hunting dogs and the effect on deer  (Read 2598 times)
scdogman
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2010, 01:55:30 am »

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/publications/pdf/raccoonimpact.pdf

Above is the link.

I think the pages are numbered backwards.
cward
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:22:10 am »

Well this is a fact!! I had a well managed deer lease ask me to run my hog dogs all the way through Bow season to run the hogs out!! There are 20 people on this lease and of coarse some said for us to stay away from there feeders and did not agree with the rest of the leaser about us running our dogs that close to gun season!! This is where it gets funny the 3 guys that did not want us to run by there feeders all were on the same end of the lease!! So we doged the rest of the lease hard and they went from seeing 20 hogs on game camera to seein 20 deer on game camera (that is just an estimate) but the guy that did not let us dog had a crap load of hogs and NO deer!! The president of the lease told me that this was the best opening  weekend they have ever had!! Now if you think about it everyone I talked to said this was the worst deer season they had as for as hunting it was tuff!! The other 3 leaser have agreed to let me do there feeders next year being all they seen was hogs and maybe I could push all the hogs onto the next lease instead of there feeders!! We remove around 30 head of hogs in this lease in a month and half!!

Hog hunting can start more crap than anything I have ever seen!(HDLCrystal)
Remember John Wayne was just an actor the real cowboys is who he looked up to..........
myershogdogs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:13:11 pm »

I have the same experience but we get clubs that let us do that all the time the response is always the same WOW what a great opening weekend or WOW what an AWESOME deer season It is also fun to
be one the only ones hunting in clubs at that time of yr.
Russ
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 04:12:36 pm »

Since hunting pressure on deer down here is low and we corn roads to give us fresh tracks to run we have deer/hog dog encounters. The deer will stand still till the dogs run past or ease off the road till we pass and come right back out and continue to eat.

And yea if you run hogs hard around feeders you get a couple weeks of peace and quiet from the hogs.

uva uvam videndo varia fit
Like having my own little fuzzy convict, he steals, is violent and from what I saw him doing to his teddy bear obviously sexually frustrated.
Wmwendler
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:43:16 pm »

I have had hog races run right through deer and they just move out of the way but come right on back.  I have walked passed deer at 50 yards going to a bay at a fast walk and ignored them and the just kept on eating and ingnored me right back.  haha.  I hunted through a set of woods last week and jumped a bunch of deer and when I drove back by I saw more than I did before.

Waylon
BarrNinja
Hog Doom

When the tailgate drops the excuses usually start!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 02:35:27 pm »

I have had hog races run right through deer and they just move out of the way but come right on back.  I have walked passed deer at 50 yards going to a bay at a fast walk and ignored them and the just kept on eating and ingnored me right back.  haha.  I hunted through a set of woods last week and jumped a bunch of deer and when I drove back by I saw more than I did before.

Waylon

The same thing has happened to me many times over! I have rode on horseback and four wheeler past bedded deer only yards away and they just laid there and let us and our dogs pass.
The effects of hog hunting with dogs is nothing but good for deer herds and deer hunting from what I can tell. I have never seen much deer sign in or around high concentrations of hogs. There is a good reason for it.

One of my best bucks came with a bow just 3 days after hog hunting the area hard with dogs. I arrowed him less than 100 yards from were I had tied a hog just 3 days prior!
Some deer hunters know this but most of them dont.
Most deer hunters I know cringe at the thought of a dog on their deer lease and to have any kind of hunting dogs out there just prior to deer season is preposterous to them!
Studies like this will definitely help in educating them!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:34:19 pm by BoarNinja » Logged

"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs." - President Harry Truman

“I like hogs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Hogs treat us as equals” - Sir Winston Churchill
Eric
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 02:40:14 pm »

Good post

"Capitalsim, God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor." http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=HAQ4yNgXelk
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 06:24:35 pm »

I have been hunting deer. I could see the deer sudenly leave and a dog come through. Then the deer came right back. People that can't hunt try to blame something outside their control.

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
BarrNinja
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 04:57:12 pm »

I guess the best part of that study for me was the deer that actually got ran by the coon hounds. He was right back were the dogs jumped him by 3:48 that very morning. He didnt stay away for very long at all!

Unlike coons, hogs that dont get caught by dog hunters will leave an area for a significant amount of time before they return. I have personally observed hog infested areas with no deer present at all get hunted hard with dogs, only to have deer start showing up in good numbers after just a few days.
It was like they were hanging out and waiting for the hogs to leave.
I know people see deer and hogs from the same deer stand on the same day regularly but it is different when the hog numbers are high. How many deer hunters do you know that complain about a certain spot that they only see hogs from? They usually stop hunting it all together during deer season and just leave it to the hogs! Shocked  Not me! Me and my dogs will be happy to take back that piece of realestate for the deer herd! Evil

"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs." - President Harry Truman

“I like hogs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Hogs treat us as equals” - Sir Winston Churchill
Marshall
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 05:14:19 pm »

All my places are pretty much hog free. I have NEVER seen a hog while i was deer hunting. Only deer, and I run my dogs on these places year round to excercise my pack. We still have bigger bucks than the average place. There was a 165" 20 point killed about 200 yards from my dog pens this year by our neighbor.

My sister's 1st buck. 150" 10 pt. Run dogs on this little place year round.  Wink

This is the 20 point that was killed behind my dogs pens this year.
Wmwendler
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 08:58:25 pm »

BoarNinja......The same is true in reverse.  If I see allot of deer or deer sign in an area.  I don't expect to get on a hog near there.

Waylon
BarrNinja
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 09:00:09 pm »

BoarNinja......The same is true in reverse.  If I see allot of deer or deer sign in an area.  I don't expect to get on a hog near there.

Waylon

YEP

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: