April 24, 2024, 10:01:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a town near you..........  (Read 4050 times)
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2008, 04:40:34 pm »

Just read this.....
City Bans Dog Chaining

June 26th, 2008 by Keith Hutchinson

(Update: The City Council approved the ban on dog chaining at their meeting on June 24 in a second and final reading. The ordinance goes into effect on December 24.

)

Keeping a dog chained to a stake in a yard all day will no longer be allowed in Georgetown. The City Council approved the new rule at their regular meeting [on June 10]. The ordinance banning dog tethering was approved on first reading and will go into effect on December 24, if approved on second reading later this month.

Pit BullThe effective date provides a six-month time period for dog owners to learn about the ordinance and to build fencing in order to comply with it.

Austin approved an anti-chaining ordinance in October. Other Texas cities that have enacted dog chaining bans include Bastrop, Big Spring, Electra, Fort Worth, and Irving.

The Georgetown ban applies not only to dogs tied by a chain or other tether, but also to trolley restraints. A trolley is a dog tether connected by a pulley to an overhead wire, such as a clothesline. A trolley can allow for more movement that a simple chain, however, a trolley does not reduce risks of entanglement, and also can make it difficult to judge the range of a dog’s territory for a person entering a yard.

The new rule requires dogs kept in a yard to be unrestrained by a chain or tether and to have a pen at least 150 square-feet in size. “A 10-foot by 15-foot area is still pretty small, so we would hope that dogs have more room that this,” says Ken Finn, animal services manager for the City. The 150-square-foot size for a dog run should be seen as an absolute minimum, says Finn.

The new rule does allow for the use of leashes and of temporary restraints, as long as the dog’s owner remains with the dog.

One of the primary reasons to prohibit dog chaining is that chained dogs are more likely to hurt people. The American Veterinary Medical Association recognized this risk in a 2003 statement: “Never tether or chain your dog because this can contribute to aggressive behavior.

According to the Humane Society of the U.S., “Dogs tethered for long periods can become highly aggressive. Dogs feel naturally protective of their territory; when confronted with a perceived threat, they respond according to their fight-or-flight instinct. A chained dog, unable to take flight, often feels forced to fight, attacking any unfamiliar animal or person who unwittingly wanders into his or her territory.

Organizations that have taken positions against dog chaining include the American Humane Society, the Humane Society of the U.S., the American Veterinary Medical Association, American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

A chain also can prevent a dog from reaching shade or water, and can lead to serious neck injuries. A dog on a chain that becomes entangled can get pinned to the ground, a situation that Finn has seen before. “It is heart-breaking.

The ordinance also prohibits wrapping a chain or tether around a dog’s neck, or using a chain or tether that weighs more than five percent of the dog’s body weight. A properly-fitting harness or collar must be used.

Information about dog tethering and its alternatives can be found on the Humane Society website at www. hsus. org.
Other resources include dogsdeservebetter. org and unchainyourdog. org.

For details, contact Georgetown Animal Services at (512) 930-3592 or via email at animalsvc@georgetowntx.org

Doesnt look good.

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 08:20:03 pm »

that kind of bullsh1t is why i dont live in town. i like to do my own thinking and make my own rules!
clint
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 08:22:04 pm »

i hear ya jdt Grin i live miles from town

Quality over Quantity!

You gotta cut the boars to catch the Barrs.

Get Ahead Son!
matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 08:51:59 pm »

I like to think the same way.....but WTF are we all gonna do when they make this a county thing instead of a city thing?Huh?  Kinda has me a little nervous.

Matt

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"~Woodrow F. Call

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
Jeff
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 09:50:19 pm »

i had heard a few months ago that this was a statewide law now.  apparently it was a rumor, or the city law wouldnt be needed.  probably coming, though.
jhy
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 12:38:57 am »

That is asking for trouble!  I have dogs that I cant sleep at night unless I know they are on a chain.  "God loves stupid people or he wouldnt have made so many of them!"

Joey

"You lose a lot of money chasing hogs and women, but never lose women chasing money."
BayedBlue
Bay Dog

Bayed Blue Bayed True Bayed Solid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 12:30:22 pm »

I live in the middle of nowhere and that still doesn't seem far enough away...

A Free Society Is One Where It Is Safe To Be Unpopular.
GitDatHawg
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 09:15:00 pm »

ya know if there on a chain and you beat'm or don't feed'em that's one thing... it's just a shame that stupid people doing those things end up forcing those rules upon us the people that love and feed or dogs.  Yeah and I live in harris county way to close to houston.
Flatbroke
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 09:22:36 pm »

unfortunately it will probably spread faster than we know.  CA now has the no chain law in effect. 10x15 feet seems real excessive.

next time I shave my Ass, we are gonna have to glue it on them slick haired ones.
Boardog
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 08:49:24 am »

I hate em to i hope i live far enough out of town.

Rock on Rednecks!

Visit:www.hogrustlers.net
Black Gold
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 01:59:29 pm »

TEXAS TETHERING LAW

AAChapter 821, Health and Safety Code, is amended by adding Subchapter D to
read as follows:
SUBCHAPTER D. UNLAWFUL RESTRAINT OF DOG
Sec.A821.076.AADEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:
(1)AA "Collar" means any collar constructed of nylon, leather, or similar material, specifically
designed to be used for a dog.
(2)AA "Owner" means a person who owns or has custody or control of a dog.
(3)AA "Properly fitted" means, with respect to a collar, a collar that measures the
circumference of a dog’s neck plus at least one inch.
(4)AA "Restraint" means a chain, rope, tether, leash, cable, or other device that attaches a dog
to a stationary object or trolley system.
Sec.A 821.077.AAUNLAWFUL RESTRAINT OF DOG.
(a) An owner may not leave a dog outside and unattended by use of a restraint that
unreasonably limits the dog’s movement:
(1)AA between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.;
(2)AA within 500 feet of the premises of a school; or
(3)AA in the case of extreme weather conditions, including conditions in which:
(A)AA the actual or effective outdoor temperature is below 32 degrees
Fahrenheit;
(B)AA a heat advisory has been issued by a local or state authority or
jurisdiction; or
(C)AA a hurricane, tropical storm, or tornado warning has been issued for
the jurisdiction by the National Weather Service.
(b)AA In this section, a restraint unreasonably limits a dog’s movement if the restraint:
(1)AA uses a collar that is pinch-type, prong-type, or choke-type or that is not
properly fitted to the dog;
(2)AA is a length shorter than the greater of:
(A)AA five times the length of the dog, as measured from the tip of the dog’s
nose to the base of the dog’s tail; or
(B)AA10 feet;
(3)AA is in an unsafe condition; or
(4)AA causes injury to the dog.
Sec.A 821.078.AAEXCEPTIONS. Section 821.077 does not apply to:
(1)AA a dog restrained to a running line, pulley, or trolley system and that is not restrained to
the running line, pulley, or trolley system by means of a pinch-type, prong-type, choketype,
or improperly fitted collar;
(2)AA a dog restrained in compliance with the requirements of a camping or recreational area
as defined by a federal, state, or local authority or jurisdiction;
(3)AA a dog restrained for a reasonable period, not to exceed three hours in a 24-hour
period, and no longer than is necessary for the owner to complete a temporary task that
requires the dog to be restrained;
(4)AA a dog restrained while the owner is engaged in, or actively training for, an activity that is
conducted pursuant to a valid license issued by this state if the activity for which the
license is issued is associated with the use or presence of a dog;
(5)AA a dog restrained while the owner is engaged in conduct directly related to the business
of shepherding or herding cattle or livestock; or
(6)AA a dog restrained while the owner is engaged in conduct directly related to the business
of cultivating agricultural products, if the restraint is reasonably necessary for the safety
of the dog.
Sec.A 821.079.AAPENALTY.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly violates this subchapter.
(b)AA A peace officer or animal control officer who has probable cause to believe that an
owner is violating this subchapter shall provide the owner with a written statement of that
fact. The statement must be signed by the officer and plainly state the date on which and
the time at which the statement is provided to the owner.
(c)A A person commits an offense if the person is provided a statement described by
Subsection (b) and fails to comply with this subchapter within 24 hours of the time the
owner is provided the statement. An offense under this subsection is a Class C
misdemeanor.
(d)AA A person commits an offense if the person violates this subchapter and previously has
been convicted of an offense under this subchapter. An offense under this
subsection is a Class B misdemeanor.
(e)A If a person fails to comply with this subchapter with respect to more than one dog, the
person’s conduct with respect to each dog constitutes a separate offense.
(f)A If conduct constituting an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under
any other law, the actor may be prosecuted under this section, the other law, or both.
Sec. 821.080. DISPOSITION OF PENALTY. Notwithstanding any other law, the clerk of
a court that collects a penalty under this subchapter shall remit the penalty collected for deposit
in the general fund of the county.
Sec.A 821.081.AAHAND-HELD LEASHES. This subchapter does not prohibit a person from
walking a dog with a hand-held leash.
SECTIONA2.
(a) The change in law made by this Act applies only to an offense committed on or after
September 1, 2007.
(b)AA An offense committed before September 1, 2007, is covered by the law in effect when
the offense was committed, and the former law is continued in effect for that purpose.
For purposes of this section, an offense was committed before September 1, 2007, if
any element of the offense was committed before that date.
SECTIONA3.AAThis Act takes effect September 1, 2007.

CODY WEISER - WWT Founder & Official Scorer - T.D.H.A. Advisor
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 03:46:50 pm »

Just got off the phone with Jackie Keri, director of Georgetown animal services......I told her why I thought the ban was a bad idea.....and ....she told me that she thought all dogs should live inside and sleep in a bed.....I asked for her to give some consideration for hunting and working dogs and she said that she understood how they were different from "pets" that never got off the chain, but that NO chaining would be allowed. There goal and hope is to take dogs from those who can't build pens, because she said "putting the dogs down is better than living on a chain".

We are all in this together..........more is coming.........Help the TDHA help you, join today.

Paul T

matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 04:18:42 pm »

Ignorance is becoming more and more common, almost hard to keep yuor head above water with soo many people that think like this lady.  Things that I see as common sense you would think came from another planet.  I have two dogs that WILL NOT stay in a kennel or stock trailer or anything for that matter short of a box.  What am I supposed to do, put em down??? Give me a break!!

Matt

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"~Woodrow F. Call

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 10:31:04 pm »

Paul- Thanks for calling. She told me the same thing.

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: