April 28, 2024, 08:58:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What breed.....  (Read 1034 times)
GAhunter
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2010, 09:37:55 pm »

I'm hoping that maybe some of you guys out west have run a combo like I'm thinking. I was thinking of running a rough, gritty dog that is short to medium range with plenty of nose and stamina to run as a pair with a staghound. I've been looking at Catahoulas and then a friend of mine (curdogsforhogs) suggested BMC's as well. Anyone ever tried a combo like this? What breed would work best? Thanks!
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 05:56:15 am »

Any breed or cross potentialy work. Just depends on the dog. Some sort of cur/pit cross would be my guess.
leonriverboy
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:50:02 am »

I have been considering crossing a German short hair with a fast, athletic, good natured pit.  You would have nose, stamina and lung along with grittiness and catching ability!  What do you guys think?
Cull Buck
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:26:22 am »

I think there are a whole bunch of dogs out there like that so I don't see why I would want start expirementing with a bunch of different breedings to get one.  Seen tons of very rough BMC's that would try a hog a soon as another dog showed up to a bay. 

"I'm like lunch meat.....always ready" - Eric Barnes

Took Savoy to the swamp and he promtly got his v-card punched.

He's out.  And you're out.  And i don't think I'm in either.
hog428
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:53:26 am »

I have been considering crossing a German short hair with a fast, athletic, good natured pit.  You would have nose, stamina and lung along with grittiness and catching ability!  What do you guys think?
This cross has been made in Hawaii and has proven to be a out standing working hog dog    a compleat hunter
GAhunter
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:48:59 pm »

A bird/bull would work great now that I think about it.
catchdog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 08:59:27 pm »

i crossed bmc with an airdale that works good. they are rought and will go not a dog that u look at  while u hunt. also got two walker/airdales that should be the same way there just pups now.
TColt
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 12:18:18 am »

what kind of country are you huntin and what are you expecting you dogs to do?

A short range dog with alot of nose is gonna roll out if it hits a got track and be a long ways away in no time. A stag hound should be all catch and wont have any problem runnin down a hog, but they also are sight hounds so they (in general) dont put their nose to the ground much. From what i got, if your talkin pit/bird,  you are wantin to run two different types of finder holders/rcd together. In my opinion i think you should run two dogs with the same type of hunting style so that they can work as a team easier if you are wanting them to work together. So i would run two sight hounds, like stag and stag, or two bull crosses. Somthin like that. For instanece if your huntin open country and looking for somethin that is gonna be right on top of hogs before they go after it then go with the pair of stags, if your huntin thicker area go with a pair that has a little nose. Or if your wantin more stoppin power cross the stag with a bull. But let us know where your huntin, what kind of terrain, and what your expectin out of your dogs to give everyone a better idea of where to lead you.

p.s. some bulls have pretty good noses so the bull/stags might not be a bad idea for where ever your huntin

Taylor Colt Christian- TDHA member
http://tdha.org/

Support our sport!
GAhunter
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 07:00:16 am »

It will be a mix of places. Some places will be very open and some places will be thick. Some will be flat and some will be very hilly. My good friend with the stags, greyhound crosses, and bird/bulls grew up in Australia. These dogs are the only type he knows growing up. He said sometimes they would pair a running dog like a stag with a dog with a good bit of nose that was gritty enough to keep the hog there until the stag found it if for some reason the dogs got split up or that would catch with the stag if they stayed together when the other dog jumped the hog. In Oz, they either paired with ridgebacks or bull arabs which are essentially from what I've read and been told bird/bull/greyhound crosses. I'm wondering what kind of breeds can I find easily around here that would pair up good with the stag for this same type hunting. Just looking to see if anyone has any experience running like this.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:01:58 am by GAhunter » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: