April 19, 2024, 10:11:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tying hogs  (Read 15395 times)
Peachcreek
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2010, 07:43:19 pm »

ok guys i am a little more than embarrised to ask this question Embarrassed Embarrassed i need to know how to tie a hog apparently.. the dogs got one bayed up and it was small enough i figured i would try to tie him up and feed him out instead of the usual shot them and eat them. i got a hold of him and flipped him over and started tying.. my buddy came in to help and he didnt know much more than me. anyway after i took my foot off his neck he jumped up and ran off like he was never tied. i have gone with clint from this board and he had the hobbles that made it pretty easy but it would seem that a regular rope should work if i knew how to tie it.. it was a 80-90lb boar hind sight i should have shot him.. i would be cooking piggy instead of writing this Lips Sealed

www.peachcreekcatahoulas.com

Victor dog food dealer. Cleveland Texas
Cutter Bay Kennels
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:14:42 pm »

In all seriousness, maybe if we ask nice the ladies from Hogs, Dogs,and Lace would do a little video of up close tying.  At the least they should be able to post step by step pics.  Just saying.

"To me it is not always about the game you caught, but the memories you can't let go of.   Wink  " Josh Farnsworth
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:15:34 pm »

You tie this knot on three legs

http://www.iwillknot.com/cow_hitch/

On the fourth you tie the cow hitch then tie it off. The more they pull the tighter the knot gets. With a littler practice you can do it under a minute.

Practice on your buddies and see if they can get out  Grin
leonriverboy
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 09:15:33 pm »

I tie half hitches and tie end off.  If you can find mule tape it sure works good.  Mule tape is used by electrical utility co to pull lines with.  Hope this helps.  I've had hogs come untied when I was younger it just takes practice.
3-Bdogs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 10:27:37 pm »

i know of a couple ways i use mule tape but whatever way you find works best for you make sure you take a rope find a tree and tie them legs high until you drag him out sure is hard for a hog to run off when he is on his back with his feet stickin up

You goin to do somthing or just stand there and bleed (tombstone)
jesse
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 10:53:04 pm »

i gots lotts of muletape

all hog dogs go to heaven all hogs go to hell
Peachcreek
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 11:07:29 pm »

thanks, i knew someone would bring up the hdl women on this one..... Lips Sealed
i guess a stupid question is one that is not asked

BarrNinja
Hog Doom

When the tailgate drops the excuses usually start!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 09:33:07 am »

In all seriousness, maybe if we ask nice the ladies from Hogs, Dogs,and Lace would do a little video of up close tying.  At the least they should be able to post step by step pics.  Just saying.

Grin Im all for it!
I use double half hitches also but I have noticed that Chance and his ladies use big rope for better blood circulation with the hogs feet. We need a demo ladies! Wink

"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs." - President Harry Truman

“I like hogs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Hogs treat us as equals” - Sir Winston Churchill
thesquealisreal
Bay Dog

www.bnahogdogs.weebly.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 12:20:58 pm »

MULE TAPE!

tanner handley
Bay Dog

Look fer him

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 02:17:57 pm »

i use a double half hitch

Twisted T hog Dogs
BigAinaBuilt
Alpha Dog

TDHA Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 03:01:03 pm »

Howzit guys! I'm not sure how many of you have seen our "packing" style here in Hawaii but majority of the places we hunt have no roads which means you throw the pig on your back and piggyback it to the truck!  laugh Most guys here go with the few hitches route but me being me and always looking to do things a little different have been using "Israeli Ropecuffs". It is a simple knot and you just tie off the 2 loose ends and throw the pig on your back. I am not sure how it would work on a live hog because you can get the ropes VERY tight and a live hog with no legs won't be worth much at the buying station (At least I wouldn't think so).

Here is a picture of my cousin packing a fatty sow  and then I will post a video of how to tie your own ropecuffs. Try it out on your friends or to detain an intruder while you coughtorturecough wait for the police to show up  laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzB7RV4bKnU

Competition is not the domination of others, But rather the pursuit of excellence within each of us.
Peachcreek
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 09:40:24 pm »

man i like the ropecuff deal i will give them a try

maybe on the wife Grin Grin oh i mean when she gets out of line of coarse

BarrNinja
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 06:58:46 am »

Howzit guys! I'm not sure how many of you have seen our "packing" style here in Hawaii but majority of the places we hunt have no roads which means you throw the pig on your back and piggyback it to the truck!  laugh Most guys here go with the few hitches route but me being me and always looking to do things a little different have been using "Israeli Ropecuffs". It is a simple knot and you just tie off the 2 loose ends and throw the pig on your back. I am not sure how it would work on a live hog because you can get the ropes VERY tight and a live hog with no legs won't be worth much at the buying station (At least I wouldn't think so).

Here is a picture of my cousin packing a fatty sow  and then I will post a video of how to tie your own ropecuffs. Try it out on your friends or to detain an intruder while you coughtorturecough wait for the police to show up  laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzB7RV4bKnU

I have seen this packing style before but it was used on dead hogs. What keeps you from getting a wetter upside your head if a live boar starts to struggle? Or a tuck for that matter?

"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs." - President Harry Truman

“I like hogs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Hogs treat us as equals” - Sir Winston Churchill
BigAinaBuilt
Alpha Dog

TDHA Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 03:53:34 pm »

It is illegal to take any animal out alive here in Hawaii but the few times I've done it, we used a branch with the animal tied in the middle between 2 of us. I also have a big pack that I put shoats or baby goats and sheep in. You would be suprised even a dead boar will put a hurt on you! In the picture there is a mule tape tied on her jaw to control her head from swinging into your ear or to keep her head from lifting and coming down on the top of your head!

Warning: Packing an animal like this will turn your undies red!

Competition is not the domination of others, But rather the pursuit of excellence within each of us.
cward
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 11:52:00 pm »

I'm sorry I just seen this!!I think I can get the women to show you how!! Wink
They use a 3/8 rope so the hogs feet don't swell always worked for us!!

The girls call the knot there Rapa - Tapa - Hoiey  Knot!!  There is a story why the call it that !!

Me and my wife used to see who could tie one faster I can't say who won but she can flat tie one pretty darn fast!!

Hog hunting can start more crap than anything I have ever seen!(HDLCrystal)
Remember John Wayne was just an actor the real cowboys is who he looked up to..........
Cutter Bay Kennels
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 06:51:36 am »

Rapa - Tapa - Hoiey  Knot here we come.

"To me it is not always about the game you caught, but the memories you can't let go of.   Wink  " Josh Farnsworth
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 08:34:37 am »

You tie this knot on three legs

http://www.iwillknot.com/cow_hitch/

thats exactly what i do with a half hitch over the first and last knot/foot
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 10:32:41 am »

I have used the cow hitch on people. It is funny how fast I can tie up someone before they know what happened. Rapa - Tapa - Hoiey  Knot? I want to see what that is!

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
BarrNinja
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 01:13:24 pm »

A Alabama Hondo works real good too!

Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 04:17:44 pm »

I've been usin' bigger rope for the same reason... so I can leave 'em tied up a little longer without worryin' 'bout crippling them.. 3/8" is good, I use the "cow hitch", but the occasional hog still kicks out a leg every now and then... (and I've got those legs cinched together TIGHT)... I also have studied Cward's and, gone but not forgotten, Scott and Des' photos of tied hogs... they all use relatively large(3/8'ths looking) tie string...

.... but THIS is what still has me baffled... they don't cinch the legs tight together!  Some of the shots I've seen look like that hog could stand right up!  Fat string, and slack line are a recipe' for a hog kickin' loose to me... or maybe I just ain't figgured the technique out yet! (Most likely Grin)

Been experimenting with just tying a slip knot on a back leg, above the ankle but below the hock.... then just tying them to a tree till we're ready to go... haven't lost one yet!

When in doubt.... throw another tight half hitch on!!!  Grin

Welcome to the Gun Show

Noah Metzger 352 316 8005
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: