April 19, 2024, 02:13:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hog Cooking  (Read 3031 times)
aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

Circle C Australian Shepherds

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2007, 09:52:34 am »

Just looking for ideas on marinades, marinating time frames, whether you drain the ice water or let it float, etc. What's the best way you've had wild hog?

M

At least I'm successful at doing nothing right. I guess it could be worse.
Sean
Administrator
Boar Slayer

"You get that on video??", "..umm....well...."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 02:14:05 pm »

so glad you posted this thread mandi. mainly because i am a cook and feel like i might have something to offer on this subject. and i never have an answer for people about the dog questions,lol. i believe italian dressing marinated on a peice of pork(any cut) for 24 hours is one of the best things you can do for pig meat(feral or domestic). most italian dressings work pretty well, but i have found that one works way better than the others as far as flavor goes, and that is Kens Steakhouse Italian w/Aged Romano. i think this one adds a much better flavor to it than other italian dressings. also, i have a great recipe for ribs in our recipe section. i have gotten very good reviews when i have made those for people. also, it's a good idea to rub some garlic powder on the meat before marinating to add to the flavor(unless you have the time to puree fresh garlic and rub that on, that works even better).
on the subject of how long to soak your meat, drain the water or let it float; you will probably get a lot of differing opinions on this. here's mine. i have let meat soak from one day up to almost five days in the past. in the case of pork, i think you should let it soak for 36 to 48 hours and drain the ice only once. this will keep you from draining all of the blood out of the meat. i think it is a mistake to let too much blood drain out of any kind of meat, be it pork, deer or beef. it seems to me that you lose some of the natural flavor when that happens, and it also makes for a tougher peice of meat in the long run.all of this is just my humble opinion of course. hope this helps. you guys let mike and i know when it's dinner time,lol. Sean

Clay
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 05:24:38 pm »

I let mine bleed till the weekend so i can process it.So anywhere from 7 to no days Grin I try to bleed mine for atleast 2 days though. As far as marinade and things of that nature Sean's the cook but i have also used italian and it makes for some good meat.The only thing he didnt mention was Tony's put that on everything.

Texas Dog Hunters Association
Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Association
Coastal Conservation Association
aladatrot
Global Moderator
Boar Slayer

Circle C Australian Shepherds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 04:29:26 pm »

I'll have to try the Ken's Steakhouse :O) 

OK, let's say I'm wanting Pork Chops with a sweet flavor. Some people would serve it with applesauce or cinnamon apple (pie filling style). In this case, would you still marinate in Italian?

Thanks for the advice!
M

At least I'm successful at doing nothing right. I guess it could be worse.
Sean
Administrator
Boar Slayer

"You get that on video??", "..umm....well...."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 05:56:03 pm »

no nooo, if you're wanting a sweet flavor don't use any italian dressing. it will ruin the sweet flavor and you'll end up with i don't know what,lol.

Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 08:45:07 pm »

We usually let the meat soak in ice water for about 24 hours after we quarter and bone it...then it goes in the freezer.

Lipton's Onion Soup works well on venison and hog. Pour the powder over the piece and wrap it in foil to cook...turns out well.
pig snatcher
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 12:46:44 pm »

That mustard and sugar mixture Realdogs is talking about is good stuff. Cool
timhicks
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 08:45:12 am »

Try Gamefix.. This stuff really works
www.getgamefix.com
They also have some great recipes as well. I tried this on a javelina and it made great fajitas Grin
OutdoorGirl
Catch Dog

GIRLS LIKE TO HUNT TOO!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 06:22:51 pm »

I going to send sean a couple of recipes to put on the website... for deer, pork, and quail. You'll have to check them out.

Stacy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: