April 16, 2024, 06:49:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Garmin Astro  (Read 4895 times)
NThoghunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 02:58:03 pm »

We have been using one for about a month now.  Been tested in water, getting rough with hogs, going through fences, etc... No complaints here, been marking the truck, tied hogs, hot areas, etc...  Pretty handy device.  Now with that said, we only run the unit on a collar (harness hasnt held up well in our thick stuff) .  Short antenna of course, only things we have noticed that could be changed is after about 1 1/2 to 2 miles we are out of range.  Also it always shows the dog has tree'd a quarry since the antenna hangs upsidedown.  Again no major problems, you just go to where your dog was last tracked and keep trucking.  Dont get me wrong I still rely on the tracking collars and run them every trip, but Tony's Garmin has come in very handy.  Especially on a "new" dog or young dog you want to keep an "eye" on. Wink

North Texas Hog Hunters
T.D.H.A member
Flatbroke
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 03:21:27 pm »

In CA we can not have a tree indicator.  do they have the option without it?

next time I shave my Ass, we are gonna have to glue it on them slick haired ones.
pig snatcher
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 04:19:41 pm »

I dont think it has a tree switch like regulare collars. Just when the dog stopps it will give you a message.  I think it says treed, pointing and one other.  Dont know how that fits into yalls law.

What is there reason for not allowing a tree switch in CA?  Most folks I know including coon hunters preffer a collar w/o it as they tend to have problems with them.
BRUTE
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 12:23:32 pm »

What is there reason for not allowing a tree switch in CA?  Most folks I know including coon hunters preffer a collar w/o it as they tend to have problems with them.

THey probably think it will cause Cancer. Cheesy
kevin
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 02:18:31 pm »

Sounds about right.

NT, I mounted one of mine on a shock collar and it keeps it countered pretty good. 
pig snatcher
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2008, 03:59:07 pm »

Sad but true. Cheesy
Flatbroke
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2008, 04:18:01 pm »

Nope, you guys got it wrong,   Regulations section 3678 of The CA Dept of Fish and Game states that it is illegal to carry, possess, transport, or otherwise own a tracking collar or device used in the pursuit, attempted pursuit of wild game wihtin the state of CA.  A violation of this section is punishible by imprisonment in the COunty Jail for a term not to exceed one year and a fine of $2000.00.  This law has been implemented as a result of studies conducted, which revealed that Said Items cause onwers to talk sloooow.  Grin Hee-Haw-Hee-Haw

next time I shave my Ass, we are gonna have to glue it on them slick haired ones.
BRUTE
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2008, 12:04:41 am »

Nope, you guys got it wrong,   Regulations section 3678 of The CA Dept of Fish and Game states that it is illegal to carry, possess, transport, or otherwise own a tracking collar or device used in the pursuit, attempted pursuit of wild game wihtin the state of CA.  A violation of this section is punishible by imprisonment in the COunty Jail for a term not to exceed one year and a fine of $2000.00.  This law has been implemented as a result of studies conducted, which revealed that Said Items cause onwers to talk sloooow.  Grin Hee-Haw-Hee-Haw

Cheesy Too funny. Technology dependency... #1 problem effecting most hunters today. Grin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: