April 28, 2024, 05:14:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using a CD hunting on horses!!!  (Read 1885 times)
catchinpigs
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2010, 03:32:00 pm »

Does any one on here that hunts horse back or know of anyone that dose and uses a CD.
Do they have them on a long lead, across their lap, behind them or (what I am really looking at) let the CD walk behind the horse until given the comand to go catch. I know the last is a long shot but I just thought with all the old dog men on here they might know something that could help me out.

Any and all replys will be grateful

Dustin H
leonriverboy
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 03:55:12 pm »

I hunt horse back.  I currently lead my cd behind my horse it works great.  I have trained CDs to heal and walk beside my horse.  I start out teaching them to heal while walking and get a good handle on them and then carry that over while riding the horse.  I use an e-collar some to get their attention.  Some CDs are easier to train than others, but most catch on pretty fast.
catchinpigs
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 04:04:07 pm »

Does the CD get tangled up alot when riding threw woods. I figure they would. Usually when we hunt off horse back we just have about five gritty dogs on the ground and no CD, but I want to use my strike dogs and a CD.

Dustin H
leonriverboy
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 04:28:46 pm »

Every once in awhile she will walk on the wrong side of a tree.  I have her trained to stay behind my horse not beside.  I just drag them through the brush if they want walk through or jump it that usually teaches them to keep up.  Train them to sit, if you drop the lead if they will sit you can walk up beside them and grab the lead from their collar, just lean over in the saddle.
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 04:50:50 pm »

my budy carries 2 cd one on each side he made bags for them that way he can run his horse through the woods it works great

Monty Bennet
MadCo
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 05:11:05 pm »

my budy carries 2 cd one on each side he made bags for them that way he can run his horse through the woods it works great

Now that would  be a picture I would love to see.....

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.     LUKE 11:21
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 06:05:40 pm »

I got a pony like 13 hands that I ride to hunt sometimes that way you snit gotta have a long lead on the dog
tobyb2007
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 07:53:34 pm »

We always hunt horseback and my cousin and other huntin buddy both have catchdogs that hang around with the horses. We have a few dogs that are completely trash broke and if they are baying we let the cd take to em and we are right there behind them. If some of the other dogs are trashing (know this by the other dogs not taking part) they have a good enough handle on them to just tell the cds to stay and they will hang with the horses til the other dogs get called off. Not sure about the best way to train one from scratch because we have always had one older dog to take with a young one but I would just say handle is the key then them realizing what a bay is. 

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Indian Valley Ranch
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 02:19:41 am »

hi catchinpigs, im britt garcia, bein new to this forum i hope to get to know you and everyone else better in the days ahead, man you picked a good topic, brings back alot of memories of huntin with my dad as a kid, we started out huntin horse back with a bunch a cur dogs, around 1993 we began raising a hines bred bulldog pup named Bo Jack that all my AB's go back to, it only took him a few hunts to know what his job was, he learned to stay just in sight of the horses, we hunted short range ruff dogs ranging from 200 to 400 yards and he would be somewhere in between, in a perfect world this is the ideal set up in my opinion only because it worked great for years, we didnt know how spoiled we were until 1999 when we started leading him in to get the catch on video, before,  we very seldom had races because he was at the bay in no time to catch the hog, the hog didnt have much time to decide whether he wanted to run , i know there are alot of variables to figure in with this type of scenario, the right group of dogs, even the hogs are different now, but i might give it a try if i still had horses, it was alot a fun and easy huntin, some guys i use to hunt with built some narrow boxes just big enough to stuff a bulldog in and tied em on like saddle bags,  it work pretty good till his CD got excited and bailed out of the box right on to his horses ear, then it got western, to avoid this put your exit door to the rear or just put a handle on your dog, if your gonna pursue this style of hunting do you have the time to spend with a good bull dog, i know a few guys that could send their CD in by command, but they were guys that had the horrible career of hog extermination and dog training, it must be tough, even if you dont fall into this depressing catagory,it might be worth the time you can put into it, maybe you will be blessed like we were and have it all fall into place, i wish you the best on this adventure and if theres anything i can help you with let me know, do you live in apple springs, i got a place in pollok but i just moved to denton, just wondering, thanks for your time
catchinpigs
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 07:14:17 am »

Thanks for all the advice so far. I was also thinking about making some kind of seat to go right behind the saddle and strap down somehow but not real sure how that would work. I like the saddlebag ideas but don't want anything hanging off the sides, I don't like sticking to trails to much so I figure it would just be in they way.

Dustin H
catchinpigs
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 08:52:58 am »

The guys that use a saddle to carry a catch dog if y'all have any pics of the bags could you post them?

Dustin H
kbar
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 09:36:06 am »

My just run with the other dogs on the ground.  Once they run for a while they settle down and stay with the horses until they hear a bay.
BarrNinja
Hog Doom

When the tailgate drops the excuses usually start!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 10:39:08 am »

I hunt horse back.  I currently lead my cd behind my horse it works great.  I have trained CDs to heal and walk beside my horse.  I start out teaching them to heal while walking and get a good handle on them and then carry that over while riding the horse.  I use an e-collar some to get their attention.  Some CDs are easier to train than others, but most catch on pretty fast.

Im working on a pup just like "leonriverboy" is right now. He is doing remarkably well with his training for a 4 month old pup. Im sure most of it will go out the window when I show him a hog next year! lol
It takes the right kind of dog and temperament to get a good handling CD to heal to your horse and catch on command but they are out there.
I have been real impressed with some of the hunters on this board that are doing it with full blooded pits.
Do you have the CD PUP yet or are you looking for a prospect?

I have a friend that leads his CD from his horse at times and others she will ride across his lap. It works out pretty good for him.
This topic reminds me of a few times when I was leading a CD from my horse. Be careful he doesn’t pass you and pull the lead under your horse’s tail! I hate it when a hog hunt turns into a rodeo! Lol 

"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs." - President Harry Truman

“I like hogs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Hogs treat us as equals” - Sir Winston Churchill
catchinpigs
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 06:16:16 am »

BoarNinja way kind of pup do you have? I havnt got a pup yet just wanting to figure everything out first.

That's why I want one to catch on commant, I won't have to worry about him getting tangled up in everything, but I am going to try to lead my current CD off of the horse soon.

Dustin H
bolo
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 08:23:11 am »

I have seen people tie their catch dog to the horse's tail  & lead them that way.I don't know the knot used  but i do know there is a knot used in the horse's tail that can be untied. Someone on this board problably knows how to do it.The good thing about this is the catchdog has to "track" right behind the horse & can't go around trees & such.

the old blue boar
hogdog05
Strike Dog

TDHA member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 09:05:21 am »

I started my catchdog about 2 months ago.  i snap a leash to a collar around the tree, i am using a shock collar to speed things up and for when the dog might try to nip at the horse.  the dog every now and then trys to go under the horse, around the legs, and up and under the head of the horse.  all in all has worked out allright for me.  i took a buddy huntin the other night and had a small rodeo.  i got off my horse and asked this feller to hold him while i tracked my dogs, he said ok.  so i walked to the four wheeler and started trackin.  i looked back and seen that the bulldog had went under the horse, but since they were just standing there and no one was horseback i thought to myself it will be allright.  well i turned my back to them and in a second i heard the horse blowin hard.  i turned and seen the horse buckin, but the bulldog leash had gotten around the back leg on the horse.  the leash held for the first kick but the second it broke.  i finally got everything  settled down.  well come to find out this city boy tried to get on my horse, needsless to say i was none to happy.  but all in all came out with a few sratchs, a broke collar, and a city boy who knows not to get on somebody elses horse. 

Brandon Taylor
214-347-3564  Scurry, TX
H)-(H
Hardcore Hog Hunters
BarrNinja
Hog Doom

When the tailgate drops the excuses usually start!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 10:10:16 am »

BoarNinja way kind of pup do you have? I havnt got a pup yet just wanting to figure everything out first.

That's why I want one to catch on commant, I won't have to worry about him getting tangled up in everything, but I am going to try to lead my current CD off of the horse soon.

Dustin my CD prospect is a Dogo Pit x. I chose this pup because of the temperament of his parents and the cross it has produced in the past. So far I am not disappointed. A very passive pup that is very trainable. At 5 months he heals on command, sits, stays(for a little while), and loads in the trailer. Let’s just hope he catches a hog! lol. Its going to be different once he is all about catching hogs and I wont be surprised if half of the training goes out the window for at first. I am eager to see if I can pull it off with him to say the least. We will see.

"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs." - President Harry Truman

“I like hogs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Hogs treat us as equals” - Sir Winston Churchill
bob
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 03:33:47 pm »

I have two pits that track right with us on horseback , craig also has one , we trained mine from scratch , my male does better than my female , but they just hang out with us until they here a bay then there off, all we done is the ecollar trick , if they try to leave out with the other dogs we just called them first , if they didnt listen , we got there attention , they are top notch now, my male was two before he even saw a horse or mule , I really dont think this is a hard thing to teach your catch dog with the aid of a e collar , I would think that tieing your dog to the horses tail would be a harder task to teach your horse or even running threw the woods with two 75 lb dogs in your saddle bags , you got to be joking  lol
leonriverboy
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 08:00:27 pm »

The e collar has worked well for me on several cd, but just don't get carried away with the electricity.  I had a friend that fried his cd too much and he would not go to the bay unless you were off the horse and led him in close.  A little e collar goes a long way!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: