April 29, 2024, 02:58:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting a young dog  (Read 895 times)
GAhunter
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2010, 09:28:16 pm »

Is 7 months old too young to put a young dog in the woods with finished dogs or does he need to be worked in a pen for a bit before he's put in the woods?
Tusk Hog
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:41:22 pm »

I always work my pups a few times in a pen. My thinking is they need to know what's going to happen. Mine seem to answer to bay that way instead of coming back to me. I'm sure it will work to just put them in the woods, may take them alittle longer.
catchinpigs
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:53:56 am »

I usually wait to take my pups to the woods until they are a year old, but in the mean time I work them in a pen a little ( not to much as I don't want them to be just bay dogs) I also set up controled hunts for them expecially the older they get. I do more mock hunting than pen work.

Dustin H
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:46:03 am »

theres no right or wrong ansure to too young i usually wait til mine get beyond the puppy stage where they dont wanna just play with the grown dogs..
pltx ken
Strike Dog

[IMG]http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x479/long

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 12:07:58 pm »

I work mine in the pen hard. and in the woods. Even in the pen dogs will learn to catch i personally don think they will just turn into bay dogs. My dogs at 6 months old will bay and at times take over and catch even in the pen. I do a little of both. woods and pen. once there honoring every bay then use them strickly in the woods.

GOTTA LOVE WHAT YOU DO. TO DO WHAT YOU LOVE!!!!
muleman
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 02:17:40 pm »

I like for my pups to know about a hog before they ever come across one in the woods. if they will bay in the pen, i like to stage some hunts. then turn a pig out and let them find it.

LOPIN MY MULE AND SCRATCHIN MY ASS!!!
GAhunter
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 08:11:45 pm »

Thanks guys! The dog is a big tall lanky bird/AB mix that my dad has as a yard dog. He wanted me to take him out with us Saturday with some older dogs. The pup has never seen a hog but will get out and hunt with our JRT in the woods. He winds stuff and will take off on a track. He's good about coming when called and checking back pretty often. I didn't know if I should show him a pig in a controlled environment before I put him in the woods. I'm pretty new to hog doggin' and I know hog hunting is completely different than rabbit hunting but I know when we'd train rabbit dogs we'd put a young dog out and let him follow the older dogs. One day it would just click.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: